Beneteau Questions

Greg_D

Aug 26, 2021
Catalina 25 Kemah
I'm looking at a 2001 First 33.6 and have some questions regarding the systems on the boat. When the bilge pump breaker is turned on, the pump starts immediately and runs until the breaker is turned off. Some are telling me that it's normal not to have a float switch on the bilge pump. The other strange thing is that the shower pump and bilge pump are one and the same. There are two suction valves for this pump below the galley sink, one for the bilge and the other for the shower drain. Two odd things about this setup: if both valves are open, the pump sucks air from the shower drain instead of water from the bilge. The other oddity is that the shower will not pump unless the bilge pump breaker is left on (and it stays running constantly with the breaker on). There is a push button for the shower drain just below the sink basin, but it doesn't do anything.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I don’t know if that’s how it came from the factory but it doesn’t sound like a very convenient arrangement. In the grand scheme of things though it shouldn’t be that hard to fix. It would be better to have a float switch for the bilge pump and a separate sump pump for the shower. Some Beneteaus have very flat bilges making float installation difficult, but even then an electronic water sensor can be used instead.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don’t have a Bene…
But…
My bilge pump “breaker” at the panel has 2 positions…normally, power is on to the pump and float switch…so it is “automatic”. When I throw the switch, it turns the pump on, regardless of what the float switch says…

Are you sure yours doesn’t do the same thing ?

Greg

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Our setup is the typical man/auto master switch with a float running the pump in 'auto'. The shower pump is on a breaker at the panel, and our 'button' in the shower/head does nothing as well. However our shower pump can be valved to act as a bilge pump as well.
I would venture a guess that this setup was not factory.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
That doesn't sound like an original setup. I have a Beneteau but I have 2 pumps, one for the bilge and one for the shower( suction diaphragm type under the head sink). The bilge works off a float and is always on- no breaker. The shower is on a breaker and is operated with a toggle in the head. I once had a boat with a shower that drained to the bilge, the bilge pump was on a float. If you could remove the valve and drain your shower to the bilge and install a float on the bilge pump it might be a better setup. Or another pump for the shower where the valve is now either way I think you would need to separate the 2 lines.

Greg_D

Aug 26, 2021
Catalina 25 Kemah
After looking a little closer and confirming with a neighbor with the same boat, there is no float/automatic mode. The bilge pump is either on or off with a push button breaker on the 12V panel. The shower pump only works when the potable water pump breaker is energized. I guess that makes sense.

But I also have a slow leak somewhere in the water system as evidenced by the pump short cycling. It doesn't short cycle when I close the discharge valve just after the pump.

I'm going to get an automatic bilge pump, but it's going to take some searching to find on that will fit in the tiny bilge pocket that's at the lowest point in the bilge.

May 17, 2004
I'm going to get an automatic bilge pump, but it's going to take some searching to find on that will fit in the tiny bilge pocket that's at the lowest point in the bilge.
Our Beneteau with a small bilge sump uses a remote diaphragm bilge pump an an electronic “float” switch. That way only the small water sensor and the pickup hose for the bilge pump need to fit under the floor.

Oct 10, 2018
Beneteau 321 Bay Harbor Marina, Bay City MI
My 1998 Oceanus 321 was the same way. I have since put in a float switch to activate the pump and wired the shower button to activate the pump separately, I have yet to change the valve configuration but will have it change this spring. It was a very confusing and cumbersome system. I didn't like having to lift the floor panel and turn valves every time to take a shower. (And hopefully remember to turn them back)

Greg_D

Aug 26, 2021
Catalina 25 Kemah
Just an update for everyone who's interested. I installed an electronic switch in the strum box right next to the installed strainer. It automatically activates the factory installed bilge pump at about 3" and pumps it down to 1/2". The original breaker/switch on the 12V panel operates the pump manually. And most importantly, it is wired directly to the house battery so that it is always energized.

May 17, 2004
Just an update for everyone who's interested. I installed an electronic switch in the strum box right next to the installed strainer. It automatically activates the factory installed bilge pump at about 3" and pumps it down to 1/2". The original breaker/switch on the 12V panel operates the pump manually.
Sounds like a good improvement.

it is wired directly to the house battery so that it is always energized.
With appropriate overcurrent protection, right? :)

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
After looking a little closer and confirming with a neighbor with the same boat, there is no float/automatic mode. The bilge pump is either on or off with a push button breaker on the 12V panel.
Greg,
One thing that I have learned about Beneteaus is that there is no consistency between models nor model years. Mods by previous owners complicate matters further. For what it's worth,
my 343 has a separate bilge pump and shower drain pump. The bilge pump (whale) is located on the port side hull with a hose that terminates in a small bilge sump. There is a float switch in the bilge. There is a bilge pump breaker switch on the DC electric panel that enables activation of the pump manually; however, the breaker is normally in the off position; there is no "auto" position. The bilge pump is wired directly in a manner that allows the float switch to activate the pump (without the breaker on). In my opinion, that is a very important feature in the event that the boat is taking on water when you are not around to manually activate the bilge pump breaker switch.
A separate pump, mounted on the starboard side hull, under the lavatory, drains the shower sump. There is a breaker on the DC panel & toggle switch on the lavatory cabinet that activates the shower pump.
On Beneteaus that I chartered, there was a dedicated macerator pump and breaker, along with a pushbutton momentary on/off switch on the lavatory cabinet that activated the macerator pump.
With regards to the freshwater pump cycling, it is possible that there is a leak; I would think that you would find freshwater in the bilge if there was a leak. On some freshwater pumps, there is a pressure adjustment that may stop the cycling. On my pump (Shurflo), there was no adjustment. The rubber diaphragm & rubber valve assembly needed replacement.
Good luck with the boat, I assume you purchased, and welcome to SBO.

• Helpful