Beneteau Oceanis 31

Jan 25, 2011
Precision P23 perdido key florida
I'm new to the forum and I don't even own a Beneteau yet. I'm looking to move up to a beneteau 31 oceanis from a Precision 23. I want to do some cruising as well as inland sailing. I know most boat owners are going to the in-mast furling, but I feel for cruising I would be better off with a standard main and batten mainsail. Also to those who own 31's and have done some cruising. How do you feel the boat performs when engage in less than desirable elements.

Greg

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Oceanis 31

Hi,
My wife and I have owned and sailed an Oceanis 31 since 2008, it is hull #16. We have used Caboteur extensively. Though we live and mostly sail in Canada we have managed to log a little over 10,000 nautical miles on the boat!
Our two longest trips were from Montreal to Georgetown (Bahamas) and from Montreal to Chicago, Ill. We found the boat to be very comfortable and seaworthy; this was a considerable downsize for us from a 38 footer on which we crossed the Atlantic ocean three times.
We ran into some "weather" on lake Michigan and when crossing the Gulf Stream from the Bahamas to the US. It was rough but the boat handled it very well and everything stayed dry down below.
I preferred (I do the sailing) the classical rig with two full battens and two shorter battens and am very happy with it. I have heard of many difficulties with furling mains and don't think they are worth the hassle on a 31.
If you are to cruise Florida and the Bahamas, I would seriously consider the 4'3" keel and the forward water tank (better balance along with more water).
If you have time, look at the owner modifications section for the 31. These were mostly done for long-term cruising.
We have heating and 450 amp/hr house battery bank and 2 X 85 Watt solar to keep all this working... the boat is on a mooring and when not cruising we don't use the motor very much and never plug in. We can easily go out on the "lake" and come back to the mooring under sail. We are situated at 45.159607°N 074.336080°W Google it and you'll see the boat.
If you have any questions or just wish to shoot the breeze, don't hesitate.
Pierre

Jan 25, 2011
beneteau 31 cruising modifications

Pierre,

thanks for the quick reply. would you know about how much in dollars to add these modifications for cruising on the 31.

greg

Feb 21, 2010
Modifications

Greg,
This was a few years ago so I don't remember it all, some of this was done by my dealer in Quebec City. In any case here goes:
Batteries: 4 X 225Amp 6V Isolator Switches & Boxes, installed: 1500$
Handholds, stainless matching original, installed: 538$
Teak footrest, center of cockpit, installed: 250$
Shelves (one sheet of marine plywood finished both sides & edging): 100$
Fender bags for large fenders: 500$
Reversing door: 0$
Shelf fiddles & towel bars: 300$
Solar & stainless support: 2000$
Prices are in Canadian $$$ but were done in 2008 & 2009, therefore those prices should be about right in US $$$ today. A little over 5000$ for these; for cruising they were well worth the expense. Our boat is all in all over-equipped (heating, radar, hydraulic internal autopilot, windlass, cruising spinnaker, SSB radio, internet antenna, 70 amp Balmar & external controller etc) which would not be very good for resale (it isn't for sale) but we prefer a smaller boat which I can single-hand to a larger not so well appointed boat needing a crew.
Pierre

Jan 25, 2011
Cost of cruising modification

Piere
Thanks for the response. I spent 4000 bucks just like that on my precision 23. The dollars go quick when around a boat.
Greg

jpsned

Jul 3, 2014
Beneteau 31 Northport Mi
Re: Modifications

how do i get to your posting describing the changes you made to your Bene 31. I am specifically interested in the fiddle towel bar change

Feb 21, 2010
I just wrote the site... the owner mods for the 31 seem to have been lost in the site change. We should have an answer soon.
Pierre
To whet your appetite, I took the fiddles out by unscrewing them from underneath and put two of them in the head as towel bars. I then replaced them with 3inch lexan strips held by half circle fittings. I did this to the top V-berth port side cabinet; I had to curve that one using an electric heat-gun.

Mar 11, 2022
Beneteau Oceanis 31 ITALY
Hi All, just registered in the forum. I am an happy owner of a Beneteau Oceanis 31. I love her :)
Happy to know other owners to exchange tips & tricks, suggestions, and so on.

Fair Wind to all!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Hi All, just registered in the forum. I am an happy owner of a Beneteau Oceanis 31. I love her :)
Happy to know other owners to exchange tips & tricks, suggestions, and so on.

Fair Wind to all!
Welcome! We have an Oceanis 37, which is the larger model in the same line. Lots of similarities across the line, so let me know if you’re looking for something.

Mar 11, 2022
Welcome! We have an Oceanis 37, which is the larger model in the same line. Lots of similarities across the line, so let me know if you’re looking for something.
Yes I know the 37 and I like it a lot (even if I saw only from outside). Indeed it looks like the larger one :)

Maybe a question I have for you is related to the fridge: I had some false contact last weekend and I would like to check cables attached to the control unit. In my boat the compressor, fan, and control unit are under the sink. Unfortunately cables are aft side and I don't see any screw to remove the wood panel. Before getting crazy I was wondering which is the best option to reach them.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Yes I know the 37 and I like it a lot (even if I saw only from outside). Indeed it looks like the larger one :)

Maybe a question I have for you is related to the fridge: I had some false contact last weekend and I would like to check cables attached to the control unit. In my boat the compressor, fan, and control unit are under the sink. Unfortunately cables are aft side and I don't see any screw to remove the wood panel. Before getting crazy I was wondering which is the best option to reach them.
The compressor is in the same spot on the 37. I’ve never never tried to disassemble that cabinet so I’m not sure how it comes apart. I wonder if it would be possible to test the resistance of the fridge wires at the DC panel to see if you could trace a problem from there before disassembling the other parts.

Mar 11, 2022
Thanks David, I found the 12v plug (JST white connector male/female) under the sink and for the moment luckily solved with some CRC. I will replace the plug at the first opportunity. Access to the control unit is definitely harder not sure how they mounted.
Thanks again for your kind reply and have nice sailing.