Beneteau First Hulls - Cored or Solid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark P

Hello. Looking at a Beneteau First 285 and would like to know if the hull is cored or solid fiberglass. Also, are these boats tender (as compared to similar Cat 28 or Hunter 28)? Thanks much. -Mark

M

Mark P

Hello. Looking at a Beneteau First 285 and would like to know if the hull is cored or solid fiberglass. Also, are these boats tender (as compared to similar Cat 28 or Hunter 28)? Thanks much. -Mark

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Solid

Mark, the First 285 is a solid hull. Beneteau tends to shy away from the cored hulls although they do have some cored decks. Charlie

C

Solid

Mark, the First 285 is a solid hull. Beneteau tends to shy away from the cored hulls although they do have some cored decks. Charlie

M

Mark P

Solid above the waterline too?

Charlie, thanks for your response. Is the First series also solid (not cored) above the waterline? -Mark

M

Mark P

Solid above the waterline too?

Charlie, thanks for your response. Is the First series also solid (not cored) above the waterline? -Mark

C

Yes

I was fairly sure of my answer but called a Beneteau Dealer that is a friend of mine and he confirmed my thoughts. I would suggest that you still get a good surveyor to over the boat before you purchase it. Good luck and Happy Holidays Charlie

C

Yes

I was fairly sure of my answer but called a Beneteau Dealer that is a friend of mine and he confirmed my thoughts. I would suggest that you still get a good surveyor to over the boat before you purchase it. Good luck and Happy Holidays Charlie

N

Nicholas

What is the difference?

I am new to the boat world. Can someone tell me the difference between the two types of hulls? Which one is considered better quality? How about the upkeep and seasonal repairs? How about the flex and performance/weight considerations? Thanks

N

Nicholas

What is the difference?

I am new to the boat world. Can someone tell me the difference between the two types of hulls? Which one is considered better quality? How about the upkeep and seasonal repairs? How about the flex and performance/weight considerations? Thanks

C

short version to a complicated question

Nicholas, the short version is that a solid hull is one constructed of solid fiberglass while a cored hull is one that is constructed using a composite type constuction with fiberglass covering a core material such as foam or balsa wood. If, and that being the key word, the composite is done right it can be stronger and lighter than the solid constuction. There have been some issues with core construction though, SeaRay, a power boat company has been having a lot of problems with water intrusion and causing costly, and I mean costly repairs. One of the issues with cored decks and hulls has been delamination where the fiberglass and the core material separate. Maintenance is important in that at least every five years the deck fittings should be pulled up and rebedded (rechaulked) to prevent water intrusion. Dings in the hull or deck from dropping things should be repaired. Many boat builders are building solid fiberglass up to the waterline and then cored construction above which I guess is a bit of a comprise. Anyway this is kind of the short answer as I said and I hope it helps . Charlie

C

short version to a complicated question

Nicholas, the short version is that a solid hull is one constructed of solid fiberglass while a cored hull is one that is constructed using a composite type constuction with fiberglass covering a core material such as foam or balsa wood. If, and that being the key word, the composite is done right it can be stronger and lighter than the solid constuction. There have been some issues with core construction though, SeaRay, a power boat company has been having a lot of problems with water intrusion and causing costly, and I mean costly repairs. One of the issues with cored decks and hulls has been delamination where the fiberglass and the core material separate. Maintenance is important in that at least every five years the deck fittings should be pulled up and rebedded (rechaulked) to prevent water intrusion. Dings in the hull or deck from dropping things should be repaired. Many boat builders are building solid fiberglass up to the waterline and then cored construction above which I guess is a bit of a comprise. Anyway this is kind of the short answer as I said and I hope it helps . Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.