Beneteau First 35s5 offshore?

Jan 4, 2020
Beneteau First 35s5 Mentor-on-the-Lake
I purchased a 1993 First 35s5 and just got into the Great Lakes (Erie) at the end of last season.

Just curious if this boat can be sailed offshore, Atlantic Ocean? Potentially looking at a job in that area.

thanks.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What kind of Atlantic sailing did you have in mind? Day sails near an inlet, blue water cruising, or somewhere in between?

I don’t have any experience with that boat in particular so I’ll defer to those who might. In general a 35 foot First is not a traditional blue water cruiser, but people have crossed oceans in less.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
That was our last boat. It took a hurricane and a 35 foot Grand Banks to beat it into submission. Someone actually bought it for salvage. We now own a Hunter 41. All that being said it was an excellent boat that I would not be afraid to go anywhere in. We sailed that boat up and down the Hudson River, through the East River and Hell Gate, all around Long Island Sound and out to Falmouth, Martha's Vineyard, Block Island, and around the south side of Long Island. It was a great boat. We are so sorry we lost it and tried to buy a 42s5 to no avail. Enjoy your boat it is more than capable.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I don't thing you will have any issues Google " Jonathan green jeroboam" although a beneteau 351 which is the same boat as the 35S7 ,the 35S5 is just a little smaller in the beam