Beneteau 423 Storage and organization

Sep 2, 2014
Hunter 340 Toronto
Hi folks, we have just purchased a 2007 Beneteau Oceanis 423. I would really appreciate any tips on how to organize the storage (1. voluminous and DEEP cockpit lockers 2. limited functional galley storage, 3. cabin shelving - how do people use these without looking cluttered, and keep things on them while underway!).
Photos would be appreciated!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Stow safety items neatly and in a logical manner in the cockpit lockers. Buy nesting pots and pans that stow very neatly. Collate essential hardware, tools, head and galley items in coveted plastic bins and stow inside cabinets. Any excess goes off the boat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
In all three of the boats we have owned, we have "discovered" our own personal choices for where things "need" to go. Our most important criteria has been: quiet. This means NOTHING makes any noise, at the dock, at anchor, or underway. Accordingly, only YOU can find the answer to the proverbial "A place for everything, and everything in its place." As you begin to "occupy" your boat, you will find what works for you best.
For example: I've known hundreds of folks with the same boat we do (and been on most of them, being active in local fleet when we lived in SF and visiting many across the country as secretary of our association) , and just about everyone has found a different place for, of all things, their paper towels! Our installation, done by the PO, was to cleverly place the holder under the top companionway stair tread. Others have placed them in the galley with holders right on the strip between the forward part of the galley counter above the settee seat-back. Yes, it's maybe closer to hand, but, to us, it breaks up the open space, and we think it's "wrong" because it makes the space feel smaller from the visual "intrusion." I just grab a paper towel before I get my hands wet, assuming I remember. :)
While it's an outrageous example, I think it's applicable to just about everything. There simply isn't a "right place" for things, only you can determine what's right for you.
Deep lockers are something else, but I don't think we could answer that until we know what you plan to or need to put in there. There's a difference between storing your dinghy motor, or just boat hooks, brooms and winch handles. Many folks have found that layering and buckets work. Others have built shelving inside the caves.
Open cabin shelves are a particular challenge. But here, too, what you want to put there has to come first. Books can be accommodated by building removable fiddles or even shock cord, and sometimes depend on the size of the books. Edge fiddles can keep other stuff in place. Lighter stuff should go higher, for obvious reasons.
Congratulations on your new boat. Have fun making it yours. :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I’m with Stu on storage. Only when you get aboard and take her sailing in a good stiff breeze will you be able to find the “best” storage locations for your stuff. Just when you think you have it all put away, you’ll hit that 4ft power boat wake and everything will get rearranged.

At least for me it has taken a few bounces to help decide the best places to store stuff. Even now after 5 years I’m still sorting and trimming the boat stuff that accumulates faster than dust bunnies.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
When we bought our 423 in 2017, we were frustrated at the storage. However over the years and as others have said you will figure what works for you. I will say that the kitchen cabinets down below are very deep.... we get all our pots and pans under the stove..... lids flat pans and a bunch other stuff in the left cabinet under sink.
In bathrooms the under counter is worthless as it came from factory.... I have removed masceraters and y valves and made tanks gravity discharge and opened up a ton of room there.... The aft cockpit lazerettes are deep. There is storage aft in these spaces but I fear you could end up loosing things. The starboard aft I put my bumpers, port aft I put my spare anchor rode and all lines.
just keep playing with it.

Any other questions feel free to ask....

Greg

• Helpful