Beneteau 423 Refrigeration unit location and access

Sep 9, 2021
Benneteau 423 North Myrtle Beach, SC
I was doing a thorough cabin inspection, checking and exercising through-holes, cleaning bilges, engine checks etc, which got me into some tight spaces. One piece of operating equipment I could not check on is the refrigeration unit for the galley freezer/refer. It is working fine but I sure would like to know how to get to it in case it needs repair. I thought I might access it from the starboard locker but that looks pretty tightened up. No ability to see it from under the sink either. This is the first Spring season I have owned this particular boat. It is a two cabin layout. I'd appreciate any help on this.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Send pictures of your Refrigeration Unit and model number for the most help here.

Jim...

Sep 9, 2021
There's nothing wrong with the compressor. I just don't like not being able to reach operating equipment on my boat. I can't send photos since I don't know how to access it.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You could look for 2 copper pipes running away from the fridge location (they may be insulated), and are usually tucked away somewhere. Mine (not a Bene) run behind my stove/oven, then into A locker, Then though my engine bilge, and finally reach my compressor in my lazzarette.

If you can identify the line set and trace it away from the fridge, you should be able to find it.

Alternately, you could find the power line from the electrical panel and trace the wires to the compressor. But I think finding the line set would be much easier to trace.

Hopefully another Bene owner can add some hints to where to find it.

Good luck.

Greg

Sep 9, 2021
Thanks, I found itI (the compressor area) . Starboard lazarette has a wood enclosure with a vent hole. It is screwed tight so not meant for routine maintenance. the compressor is in there. So at least now I can open it up and take a look.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Yes you found it……. Actually there are two vent holes. And go ahead and open it…..may need a good vacuuming plus always good to know what things look like. Remember to never block the vents as you mayoverheat the compressor.