Beneteau 41.1 2017 autopilot compass failure intermittently

Jul 10, 2020
Beneteau 41.1 Cedar point, OH
I was just finishing a 2 hour sail in heavy winds and my chartplotter zeus 2 with h5000 autopilot showed the boat always pointing the same direction and then the autopilot said I believe no compass. The next day I turned everything back on and it worked great for about 15 min into the sail and same thing happened again.

1. Does anyone know where the compass is located on this boat?
2. Any ideas on why this is occuring?
3. Has anyone had issues connecting the handset on the V50 vhf radio? Mine will not pair. B&g said it's out of warranty and will not repair it.

Thanks for any assistance as I'm sailing solo and this is making it challenging.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Does the software version on the handset match the radio? Some software updates need to be applied to both otherwise they stop syncing. Some of the later updates only needed to be applied to the base unit, so if they don’t match it’s not necessarily a problem, but it’s worth checking. Unfortunately it takes a Navico tech to update the handset. The radio can be updated over the network from a Navico chartplotter.

Also, some older versions of the radio software caused NMEA 2000 bus errors which could be causing the compass issues. I’d expect to see more instruments out at the same time if that’s what were happening, but it’s worth checking. See if the radio is on the latest software, and try sailing with the VHF off to see if the compass still has issues.

Jul 10, 2020
When I first sailed the boat after buying it my friend turned off the vhf and soon after the autopilot stopped working. I believe it happened twice. I believe it lost gps? It's been a few months since it happened. I will try and update everything via the b&g chart plotter tomorrow.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have a similar issue with a Raymarine ST6001. Compass heading matches the GPS and all seems normal when in standby mode. When changed to Auto, it simply does not track. It starts to wander off to starboard and when bumped back -10 it does not return…
I have not tracked down the cause yet. The days I have had the time to do a compass calibration the sea state has been too rough to do circles.
My thought is that if the compass calibration doesn’t work, the problem may be the fluxgate compass.
If not the compass, then possibly the course computer has finally packed it in after 16 seasons.
My last choice is the hydraulic pump itself, but that sounds like its working properly and there are no apparent leaks around the pump or the cylinder.
If anybody has suggestions, I would be interested.

Unlike the original poster, I know where my compass is located on my Bene323, and that is in the port side locker in the quarter berth, and no, there is no extraneous metal near it other than the engine which has always been closer to the centerline.

Also, I’m curious as to why there would be any relationship between the VHF and the autopilot function. I know there would be a link between the gps in the chartplotter and the radio for AIS or MMSI but not autopilot.

Slider

Sep 1, 2014
Beneteau 37DK Alameda
My auto had the,Same on for a while and off now and then until I paid a pro to fix it. He went all around the boat moving and shaking wires and pulled out some extra wire. He found a wire that would turn the system off when he moved it. He replaced it and I have Had no further problem for 2 years! Get some help, I think he charged me $150.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Also, I’m curious as to why there would be any relationship between the VHF and the autopilot function. I know there would be a link between the gps in the chartplotter and the radio for AIS or MMSI but not autopilot.
In the case of B&G equipment it’s because they all reside on the same NMEA 2000 network. The VHF receives GPS from the chartplotter and injects AIS data. The autopilot and compass are on that same network to exchange heading and control data with the plotter. The problem with the early versions of the radio software was that it would spit corrupt or overflowing amounts of data onto the network, preventing the other devices from communicating among themselves. Some B&G / Simrad anemometers can do the same thing if they get water inside them - they interfere with the whole network and nothing talks.

Jul 10, 2020
Thanks everyone. A soundbar setting next to the compass in my port storage room was the issue with the compass. My mfd Zeus 2 occasionally says no gps. I think you’re right about a loose connection.