Beneteau 393 - water in start battery compartment

Feb 19, 2016
Beneteau 393 Kemah, TX
After returning from a day sail with about two hours of engine run time (Volvo/Penta MD20-40D) I noticed that there was water in the start battery compartment. The battery is in a plastic box so there is no electrical danger. When I pumped it out, it amounted to approximately 1/2 gallon. There was no water at all in the engine compartment. It appears as though the water came forward from somewhere between the engine and the stern of the boat. The water appears to be somewhat greasy and possibly pink in color but it's hard to tell. Coolant fluid level is normal. I've been out a few times since then and there is water in the battery compartment after each trip. Any thoughts as to the origin of the water?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Is it saltwater or freshwater? Knowing that will help troubleshoot the source(s). Same issue on Beneteau's discussed in this thread with possible causes:

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
As for clues, if the water smells like diesel, I'd think the pink indicated some diesel in it...otherwise I'd guess it was antifreeze from winterizing--if you do winterize in Texas. If it indicates antifreeze, I'd be wondering if my sailing caused some of the water from the vast bilge network to appear.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I had water in my battery box for an I/O boat I had. It didn't make sense since the box was tucked up under the gunnel. I assumed some deck fitting was leaking rain water. It turned out to be water from the leaking manifold which was being flung around the engine area by the alternator belt and pulley. About 5 boat bucks later order was restored. :yikes:

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Check the Volvo Penta rubber stuffing box while you are running the engine in gear. It may need to be replaced.