Beneteau 38 Moorings 1991

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2009
Beneteau 38 Moorings SYC
I have recently purchased a Beneteau 38 Moorings, 1991 in the land of AUS.
3 Questions, at this stage
1. As it was an ex charter (of course) from the Carribean (made in the US) so therefore it does have any sort of operating manual covering standard maintenace etc eg Keel bolt tension. Has any one heard of such a thing?
2. It has a Yanmar 3GM30F, 6300+ hours goes well. Similarly no operating manual. I'm not after the full workshop manual but will take that if nothing else
3. Came with a Beneteau Club flag which is not so good shape, any ideas where i could get a replacement flag

Mar 9, 2009
2 M-38 Clay, Michigan
Just bought same boat but a 1990. Same problem except previous owners have kept every reciept on everything they put into her. The only Yanmar manual I could find was $ 80.00 US. I'm still looking. Good luck with your new purchase.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If you go to the Beneteau web, they have a store, but the last time i was there they were no longer selling any flags. They link to the Syselios on-line parts ordering site.

Dragon

Mar 25, 2009
Hunter 38 Belleville
I'm considering purchasing a 1990 Beneteau Mooring 38. It was on the hard for a few years and has had some upgrading e.g. hull peeled. Any suggestions what I should be checking?

Mar 9, 2009
2 M-38 Clay, Michigan
Dragon, just bought same boat and it was kept up and still needed $$$$$$ in the thousands to launch. These are French boats so if the electric hasn't been upgraded it won't pass muster with the USCG. Make sure you get it surveyed by a good surveyor. Check your thru hull fittings and valves. Make sure they turn on and off. Mine under the kitchen sink fall apart when I tried to replace the valve so I had to replace the whole thing. Check all the standing and running rigging closely, especially the lines and blocks. One three inch block at West Marine is $ 58.00 and there are alot of them on your boat. If you can, see if the broker or owner will let you check her out by yourself for an hour or so ( longer is better). You notice more when someone isn't breathing down your neck. Hope this helps.

Nov 27, 2010
Beneteau M38 Rockland Maine
I don't know how old this post is (OH, I just saw it was 3-27-09-but maybe this can help others looking at this same boat), but I would hope that whenever you buy a sailboat you expect to repair it, including thru hulls, etc.

I have owned one of these boats for the last ten years. Skinny on these boats is that they are very very good sea boats. They have charter boat interiors, and the head liners have to be battened up. They are prone to blisters (unless peeled and epoxied). I bought mine and re-rigged it with 1X19 instead of the original rod, and replaced the wood under the sink, remanufactured the anchor windlass and reupholstered the cabin. That being said, the thing is a total tank. Mine has a lead keel (not iron or steel), 42% ballast ratio, and a full battened stack pack. The port salon settee lets down into the worlds best sea berth and the boat is simple, robust, and I just can't part with it. I spent my last weekend looking at other larger boats, and came away thinking...Gee, I feel so secure with the double spreader rig with lowers, intermediates, and uppers...10 pieces of rigging holding my mast up. The wheel is perfect, the barn door rudder shaft support and bearings are suitable for 747 landing gear, the cockpit is wonderful (the best place for sunlit breakfasts), and in case you haven't noticed, the opening ports are heavy cast Aluminum Amiot (not some light duty plastic things), the side windows are fastened with half a million screws through a heavy bezel, and the Amiot overhead hatches are built like see-through bricks. The bulkheads are all tight and bonded all round, and the keel is held on with many many very heavy bolts.

Bottom line, is it worth replacing through hulls and applying some work? Well, put simply, I can't buy another Beneteau like it. There are lots nicer, but as passage maker (14 Atlantic crossings) and boat reviewer John Kretchmer told me, this is one of the top budget boats that he would use to circumnavigate on. He did an Atlantic crossing on the same non charter hull, and remarked that it was a very good sea boat.

I was going to buy another boat to cruise on, but my wife and I decided that we would give it a go on this one just because it is such a satisfying boat. Not too pretty, not too glamorous, but it gets there with no drama and no broken anything. What more can I want?

Oct 27, 2008
Beneteau 38 marina
Looking at buying a 1990. Have you had trouble with the vynl on the walls and ceiling coming off. Also, do you know what size replacement main sail it takes.

Thank you
Craig

Oct 27, 2008
Beneteau 38 marina
Purchased my 1991 Beneteau Moorings. Fantastic boat. Handles well, great in rough sea. Just had to redo the headliner, and some small details. Had a 34 Hunter and 42 Hunter, both where excellent. This Beneteau Moorings is right up there. Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.