Beneteau 361 - Replacement of cockpit teak

May 17, 2010
Beneteau 361 New Bern NC
I am about to replace the cockpit and stern teak panels on my 2002 B361. I have the factory replacement panels except the two small side deck pieces which are no longer available, but have one extra panel from which to cut these items. Sticking the panels down is not so much of a worry (i am sure 5200 or something similar will do the job), but I am concerned about how to achieve the very clean edging of the original adhesive.
Any suggestions or experience from other members would be appreciated.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
John,
I am curious as to why you didnt attempt to refurbish the existing panels by removing the black caulking, 2 part cleaner, sanding, recaulking, and application of new teak sealer.
So, I have read that on earlier Beneteau models, the panels were screwed down with 5/8" #10 screws and then covered with teak plugs.
I have not seen any evidence of plugs on my panels; evidently, they are adhered to the underlying fiberglass seats, with an adhesive (hopefully not 5200). Might want to send an email to Ward Richardson at Beneteau to determine what sealer was used to adhere the panels to the substrate. In the article that I read, the owner was refurbishing, not replacing the panels, so removing all of the old caulk was paramount to obtaining a satisfactory result. After the caulk was removed, the teak grooves were sanded thoroughly, vacuumed, and wiped with acetone. All areas that were not caulked were masked with blue painter's tape. The caulk that was used was Teak Decking Systems
SIS440 caulk that was rated excellent in a Practical Sailor caulk durability test (2013). After, the caulk was allowed to set for a prescribed period of time, the masking tape was removed and the teak sealed with a couple coats of Semco teak sealer. Might want to check on You Tube, Jamestown distributors, and boat works today (Andy) for how to videos.
Please update (with photos) when you finish your project. I am sure that I will have to refurbish or replace mine in a few years...if not sooner.

May 17, 2010
Beneteau 361 New Bern NC
John,
I am curious as to why you didnt attempt to refurbish the existing panels by removing the black caulking, 2 part cleaner, sanding, recaulking, and application of new teak sealer.
So, I have read that on earlier Beneteau models, the panels were screwed down with 5/8" #10 screws and then covered with teak plugs.
I have not seen any evidence of plugs on my panels; evidently, they are adhered to the underlying fiberglass seats, with an adhesive (hopefully not 5200). Might want to send an email to Ward Richardson at Beneteau to determine what sealer was used to adhere the panels to the substrate. In the article that I read, the owner was refurbishing, not replacing the panels, so removing all of the old caulk was paramount to obtaining a satisfactory result. After the caulk was removed, the teak grooves were sanded thoroughly, vacuumed, and wiped with acetone. All areas that were not caulked were masked with blue painter's tape. The caulk that was used was Teak Decking Systems
SIS440 caulk that was rated excellent in a Practical Sailor caulk durability test (2013). After, the caulk was allowed to set for a prescribed period of time, the masking tape was removed and the teak sealed with a couple coats of Semco teak sealer. Might want to check on You Tube, Jamestown distributors, and boat works today (Andy) for how to videos.
Please update (with photos) when you finish your project. I am sure that I will have to refurbish or replace mine in a few years...if not sooner.
Thanks for the comments and advice. I will check out the leads you provided. The stern platform and some other pieces were damaged in hurricane Isaias with the stern 2/3 lifted off. Insurance has paid for the new set of teak, I just have to fit it.
There are (so far) no screws holding the teak but the new panels are complete with the teak boards held together with the black caulking. I think the project will take a little while but will publish pics as we go.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The stern platform and some other pieces were damaged in hurricane Isaias with the stern 2/3 lifted off. Insurance has paid for the new set of teak, I just have to fit it. will publish pics as we go.
I understand. Wouldn't argue with insurance replacing all the panels.
Note that Teak Decking Systems not only sells caulking, but also sells adhesives to adhere the panels to deck seating surfaces.
Good luck with your project; should look new when you finish.