Beneteau 361 downwind gale

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kenji

Yesterday, I found myself, my wife, and my two young children, sailing downwind in the East Santa Barbara channel in a state of frenzi. I am a brand new owner of a 361 2002 and trying to figure out how to aquire balance down- wind, with a six foot wind wave off the quarter in a 35 knot breeze. No matter how much reef was applied to the main, I could not establish lee helm. I was told before I purchased the boat that it was "tender," and I was also told that because of the beamie transom, it would preform excellent downwind...which is it? Was it the quarter swell turnning me up, or my lack of sail knowlege?

D

Dave

Call Barrett Canfield in San Diego

I am closing on a new 361 tomorrow. Our sales rep Barrett, at Southwestern Yacht should know the answer to your question. He seems to know everything about Beneteaus. Dave

J

Jose Venegas

Beneteau downwind

I am also a new 361 owner and found myself with wife, son and mother in law!! in a similar situation. I was entering the Cape Cod Canal running with full mainsail and a wind that started at 15 knots and progressively built up to 25 and against a 3k current. It was too late to reef my non-furling main as I noted the steep waves that I was beginning to surf on. I started the engine and kept it at 2000 rpm. The extra thrust of the water on the rudder kept the boat very stable and gave us a nice ride on the waves. I don't know if this was a wise thing to do, but neither wife of mother in law realized the predicament we were at.

Status
Not open for further replies.