Beneteau 343 leak from skylight.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Beneteau also created a leak-potential problem in their popular 350 model. Over the years we have had three of these in our club and they have all leaked. I know of one that was permanently repaired, and will always be leak free. The fellow that did it had to build a new curved lens set, and that was an interesting project in itself.
BTW, other boat builders have created the same problem with long fixed-port lenses, like Yamaha and ODay, to name only two.
The problem, as alluded to by others here, is the different thermal expansion of the lens and the frp cabin structure.
Our boat had leaks on the fixed ports when we bought it, and it was caused by the same problem. I once did the math on the difference in expansion/contraction for my Lexan (r) ports and my boat frp structure and it was significant. (If my hull were molded out of Lexan it might be almost half a foot longer on a very hot day...)
:)
The solution is to "float" the lens on a bed of sealant thick enough that it will keep a mechanical grip on both surfaces and not be torn loose from either side. On our boat with a bit over two feet of length of lens, we bedded our four new lenses in about an eighth inch of sealant when we installed them. That was in '95, and they are still leak-free. (Easy answer to getting the depth uniform is to put an appropriate rubber O ring around each screw, hole before gunning on the sealant, on our boat. And, put a tooth pick in each hole to mark it before laying in the sealant.)

The Ben 350 that had its huge new cabin lenses bedded in, used something like 15 or 20 tubes of sealant total. (!)

There are several great sealants that have adhesive qualities and will never attack the plastic. I chose black LifeSeal.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 343 Saint Helens, Oregon OR
I've done the dig out the old, sand, clean re-calk three times now on my 06 343. Used Sika the first two. I used Life Seal the last time in 2016.
I just consider it a maintenance item, like cleaning and lubing winches. PITA but its a boat.
As I recall, when I did the first repair, there was a UV tape available to put on the surface of the Sika. Didn't order or try. Seems like it could extend the life a year or two.

I like the panorama and the light in the cabin.

DanDF

May 28, 2020
Beneteau 343 Deale,md
I've done the dig out the old, sand, clean re-calk three times now on my 06 343. Used Sika the first two. I used Life Seal the last time in 2016.
I just consider it a maintenance item, like cleaning and lubing winches. PITA but its a boat.
As I recall, when I did the first repair, there was a UV tape available to put on the surface of the Sika. Didn't order or try. Seems like it could extend the life a year or two.

I like the panorama and the light in the cabin.
Joe,
How did the seal life sealant worked on your skylight re-calk?Please let me know I need to fix mine. I used Sikaflex 3 years ago but it start to leak again.

Nov 22, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis 343 Nettuno
I know that this thread is a bit old, but am hoping that someone still has the details pof the required Plexiglass (Acrylic) panel. I need to re-seal the "skylight" on my 343 but would like to make a replacement from Plexiglass just in case I damage the old one when taking it out (I refuse to pay Beneteau's prices for a spare part!!!) and also because my panel (lens) is already a bit "crazed".

I think the size is 144cm X 40cm X 10mm; with a 5mm rebate all around the edge? My main question is whether these panels are pre-bent prior to installation (with heat) or whether the panel is flat and just bent into place whilst installing?? I have downloaded the Beneteau field instructions which somebody very kindly made available on this forum.

Many thanks in advance.
Alan C.
Itlay.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I know that this thread is a bit old, but am hoping that someone still has the details pof the required Plexiglass (Acrylic) panel. I need to re-seal the "skylight" on my 343 but would like to make a replacement from Plexiglass just in case I damage the old one when taking it out (I refuse to pay Beneteau's prices for a spare part!!!) and also because my panel (lens) is already a bit "crazed"
Many thanks in advance.
Alan C.
Itlay.
After several attempts at cleaning the sealer from the perimeter of the skylight lens, resealing, and repeated failure of the seal within a year or so,I removed the old lens and installed a new lens in July '21. I was able to remove the old skylight with a razor knife, plastic chisels and wood shims, multi tool, heat gun, & windshield "piano wire" removal kit. The old lens was beginning to craze; therefore, I opted to replace it.
I was able to obtain 3/8" cast acrylic from TAP Plastics Inc., for approximately $200. The rough dimensions are 16 1/2" x 57 1/2". It is critical that you use the old lens as a template for final dimensions, because the lens is not a perfect rectangle; there is an arc from top to bottom. The cabin side, center portion of the acrylic is relieved 1/8", similar to the old lens, which allows for flexibility athwartship and allows the lens to bend and adapt to the curvature of the deck. If you are skilled in using a router, use a straight cut bit and guide bearing along with the old lens as a template to duplicate the final dimensions of the lens. Then use a beveled bit and guide bearing to cut the bevel that is present on the old lens. Otherwise, take the new acrylic and old lens to a fabricator for them to duplicate the old lens. Measure & tape the perimeter of the deckside surface of the lens, prep, prime, and spray paint as seen on the old lens. After thoroughly scraping, sanding, and cleaning the deck recess in which the lens is seated, I used 3M VHB double sided tape & 3M primer to adhere the lens to the deck recess and back filled the groove, after tape masking, the area between the lens and deck, with Dow 795 UV sealer (2 cartridges). End results were good and have no leaks to date; however, it has been only five months since the repair was complete. Costs were approximately $250 and estimated time for completion was approximately 18-20 hours. Hopefully, this repair lasts 10 years, similar to the factory installation!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020
Thanks a lot Big Easy, I will use those rough measurements to purchase a piece of Plexiglass; a lightly "smoked" piece here in Italy is costing out at 85euros including shipping within Italy so not too bad. I already have the Silkaflex Primer and Silkaflex is available locally. I am not an expert but already have a router and the appropriate bits; so am ready to roll when the weather gets a bit warmer and drier!!! Thanks a lot for your information and also for the photos which you had already posted on the site.
AlanC
Nettuno Italy.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I already have the Silkaflex Primer and Silkaflex is available locally.
AlanC
Nettuno Italy.
Alan, I did not have much luck with Silkaflex. Used the specified cleaner, primer for the acrylic lens, and primer for the fiberglass deck recess. After all the prep and resealing it started leaking again fairly quickly. I used a white color Silkaflex sealer and it became stained with mildew within a few months. Since that time, I have read that most manufacturers are using Dow 795; therefore, I used it on my most recent repair.

Nov 22, 2020
Thanks for the information. I also saw that, however I have been unable to find anybody retailing Dow795 in Italy; but as I have a couple of months before I am likely to be able to make the repair, then I will try and get some family/friend to buy some in another country and send it to me. I have been using Silkaflex 295 UV which is supposed to be the correct stuff for Acrylic to Gelcoat adhesion but ........

Thanks for the heads up!
AlanC

Dec 20, 2021
Beneteau 343 Manly
Thanks for the information. I also saw that, however I have been unable to find anybody retailing Dow795 in Italy; but as I have a couple of months before I am likely to be able to make the repair, then I will try and get some family/friend to buy some in another country and send it to me. I have been using Silkaflex 295 UV which is supposed to be the correct stuff for Acrylic to Gelcoat adhesion but ........

Thanks for the heads up!
AlanC
Hi Alan, just wondering if you have replaced your skylight? I replaced mine a little over a month ago. Fixtech make a product specifically for acrylic adhesion/sealing to several different substrates such as frp.

Nov 17, 2022
Beneteau 373 St Pete Beach
After several attempts at cleaning the sealer from the perimeter of the skylight lens, resealing, and repeated failure of the seal within a year or so,I removed the old lens and installed a new lens in July '21. I was able to remove the old skylight with a razor knife, plastic chisels and wood shims, multi tool, heat gun, & windshield "piano wire" removal kit. The old lens was beginning to craze; therefore, I opted to replace it.
I was able to obtain 3/8" cast acrylic from TAP Plastics Inc., for approximately $200. The rough dimensions are 16 1/2" x 57 1/2". It is critical that you use the old lens as a template for final dimensions, because the lens is not a perfect rectangle; there is an arc from top to bottom. The cabin side, center portion of the acrylic is relieved 1/8", similar to the old lens, which allows for flexibility athwartship and allows the lens to bend and adapt to the curvature of the deck. If you are skilled in using a router, use a straight cut bit and guide bearing along with the old lens as a template to duplicate the final dimensions of the lens. Then use a beveled bit and guide bearing to cut the bevel that is present on the old lens. Otherwise, take the new acrylic and old lens to a fabricator for them to duplicate the old lens. Measure & tape the perimeter of the deckside surface of the lens, prep, prime, and spray paint as seen on the old lens. After thoroughly scraping, sanding, and cleaning the deck recess in which the lens is seated, I used 3M VHB double sided tape & 3M primer to adhere the lens to the deck recess and back filled the groove, after tape masking, the area between the lens and deck, with Dow 795 UV sealer (2 cartridges). End results were good and have no leaks to date; however, it has been only five months since the repair was complete. Costs were approximately $250 and estimated time for completion was approximately 18-20 hours. Hopefully, this repair lasts 10 years, similar to the factory installation!
What is the purpose of the channel on the back of the lens? Mine is full of marine caulk and I'm thinking of just leaving it on there since it is so tenacious and re-bedding the deck skylight with 3M 4910 VHB double-sided tape then seal it from the outside with Dow Corning 795

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
What is the purpose of the channel on the back of the lens?
Not sure of the reason for the recessed groove around the perimeter of the acrylic lens; perhaps it was placed to increase the surface area to enhance retention. The middle of my lens was relieved 1/8” to allow it to be more flexible to adapt to the athwartship curvature of the deck.