Beneteau 331 galley storage above fridge compressor

Aug 9, 2020
Beneteau 331 St. Michaels
The galley storage above the fridge compressor is obviously hot. I find it more convenient to store food in this cabinet rather than the ones at the counter. The compressor area has a vent under the nav desk. has anyone put insulation in the bottom of this cabinet to reduce the heat?

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I think the vent under the nav desk is for air intake for the fan. It looks to me like they meant the airflow to move on to storage area (judging by the hole mine has in the floor of that storage) and also to the little storage area under the stove. I added a couple of vents to the "roof" of the under stove storage to let the heat rise up and out. To make the fridge work, you've got to get the heat out of the compressor area one way or another.

Aug 9, 2020
Beneteau 331 St. Michaels
Do you store food here? I find this handier for food, but the heat is the issue. I figured the hole in the floor was more meant for access to work on the compressor. Where exactly did you vent?

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
Yes, I store food in there, but don't love the fact that it is practically a bun warmer. I cut holes and put two stainless vents in the back (toward the hull) end of the wood piece that serves as the bottom of the oven area and top of the little drop-lid storage under the same. This allows air that flows through the two 2 or 3-inch chase holes into the drop-lid storage to rise up behind the oven. I've recently thought of adding another hole/vent to the chase holes to encourage this flow out of the compressor area. Sorry I don't have pictures.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I was looking at the food storage area yesterday, and am now contemplating installing a vent in the upper left wall to let warm air that's risen move on out to behind the stove/oven.

Jul 14, 2020
Beneteau 331 Lake Conroe
I’m going to look into this as well.
Does anyone know how many amps this refrigerator uses? (my placard is faded and hard to read).

Jul 14, 2020
Beneteau 331 Lake Conroe
I added a 120v (shore power) fan to this area. I know what you’re going to say.. “that only work at the dock and not when you’re out on the water” sadly to say, my boat (and probably most of our boats) live at the dock over 95% of the time. I put in an AC INFINITY AXIAL 1225 rated for 67,000 hours. I really think this will help the compressor during the hot Houston summers.
0D86EC51-7081-49FB-950F-2A807D3F014A.jpeg
37D74044-126B-4D04-83CA-4122764EFA6B.jpeg

Last edited: