Beneteau 323 oceanis clipper 2006. Presentation , Sacrificial anode and manual.

Nov 28, 2019
Beneteau 323 Oceanics Clipper Ishoj
Hello everybody,
I am a new owner of a Beneteau 323 Oceanis Clipper from 2006...it is my first boat and I am not very experience with boats...but anyway i really like it and I have decided to jump on this adventure. You need to start somehow.

I have just got my boat, I am terrified, don't know what to do and I have a million questions...the more I read, the more worried I am.

I want to start with the sacrificial anodes. Can anybody tell me how many anodes has the boat?
The engine is a YANMAR 3YM20 with shaft. I believe the boat has only one anode at the shaft after the propeller. I believe this Yanmar diesel does not have any anode. Please let me know if this is correct :)

Another issue is that I cannot find any decent owners manual and operation manual of the boat with clear information of the electrical system.

Thank you very much!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
RELAX, no need to stress about it, you will become aquatinted with the systems as you spend time on the boat. An owners manual will help you to know what’s on board; however, not necessarily how to use. Check online for a manual or request a download from Beneteau. The factory anodes at the prop are insufficient in size and therefore, limited longevity. A “donut” type zinc on the shaft between the prop and rear skegg / cutlass bearing is better if there is sufficient space to accommodate it. Shaft size is likely 25mm; however, verify that. The 3YM30 Yanmar does not have engine mounted sacrificial zincs, so I doubt if your Yanmar has any. If there is a Beneteau dealer in your locale or some one familiar with Beneteau’s, you can request (for a fee) for them to come aboard and show you how things operate and take you out for a sail, Good luck with the new boat.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019
Beneteau 323 Oceanics Clipper Ishoj
Hi BigEasy,
Thanks for your reply.
I have been googling the manual, and I got a copy that I believe is very "short" and not very detailed. The boat is from 2006 it cannot be that the manuals back them were so simple :).
Anyway thank you very much for cheering up.

My boat has a "donut" zinc anode at the shaft between the prop and rear cutlass. The boat is on land now and I can see it is degraded so it is working. However, as I have been reading quite a lot and looking at boat, I see that many other boats have also another anodo in the bottom of the hull and in the engine.

Will this single anode be enough to stop corrosion of the hull-throughs? How is that the engine does not have any anodo? I cannot see anything in the Yanmar manual.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
My donut zinc usually lasts 4 to 6 months. If your boat will stay in water year round you will have to dive to replace it or hire a diver periodically to clean the botttom and prop, as well as replace the zinc as needed. If you haul out between sailing seasons, you can address these routine maintanance needs on haulout. Can’t answer the lack of an engine anode. At one time, Yanmar did have sacrificial anodes on earlier models, appears that on later models, they eliminated the anodes.
Your Beneteau owners manual should be at least 100 pages and you should have a separate Yanmar engine manual.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
I have a pdf copy of the manual and would happily share it with you if you contact me with your email address.

Dan

Oct 29, 2021
beneteau 31 Bay of Islands
I have a pdf copy of the manual and would happily share it with you if you contact me with your email address.

Dan
Hi, we’re about to take over a 2005 323. I’m also hunting for an owners manual. I’ve seen a USA version, but would prefer the European version, as I suspect there are some subtle differences.
if you still have a copy, let me know.
Thanks upfront,
Gregg

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Welcome to the wonderful world of sailing! It takes a weekend to learn and a lifetime to master!!

On my 2004 B331 there is also an anode on the tip of the prop (stern end).

Your model engine is a "fresh water" engine rather than a "raw water" one. Almost all newer ones are. Therefore no engine anodes.

I suggest getting a copy of Nigel Caldwell's small book on diesel engines to read and study.

Mike Casey
Nova Scotia, Canada

Jan 23, 2021
beneteau 323 Corpus Christi marina
Earlier this year, I got a Beneteau 323, a 2004 model with Yanmar 2GM20F.
Recently got new shaft and prop Inc anodes from Boatzincs.com. Also got a hanging zinc anode that I’ve yet to install.
Attached is pdf of 85-page B323 manual.

Attachments