Beneteau 323 Marine Gear Access

Jan 23, 2019
Beneteau 323 Kenosha
On the Beneteau 323, can the marine gear be accessed by removing the wood panel at the rear of the engine?
Access to the marine gear is a bit tight to change the oil?
Also, the Yanmar Operation Manual states that the marine gear uses the same lube oil as the Yanmar 2GM20F engine?
Let me know.
Thanks

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Can't help you with the wood panel, but yes if your Yanmar has the Kanzaki transmission it uses SAE lube oil. The plate on mine shows 20/30 HD

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
On the Beneteau 323, can the marine gear be accessed by removing the wood panel at the rear of the engine?
Access to the marine gear is a bit tight to change the oil?
Also, the Yanmar Operation Manual states that the marine gear uses the same lube oil as the Yanmar 2GM20F engine?
I never had a problem on my 2006 B323 w/3YM20, changing oil. Isn't your filler cap on top of the tranny?

Jan 5, 2019
Beneteau 323 City Island, NY
Hi Kenosha. If by the wood panel at the rear of the engine you are referring to the one that has a shelf - Yes. It is easily removed on my 2007 B323. Access to the transmission is quite easy and you should easily spot the cap. I always use a headlamp when working in that location. Also add the oil to the transmission in small quantities. It doesn't very much. Cheers.

Jan 23, 2019
Beneteau 323 Kenosha
On the B323, yes I'm referring to the one with the shelf in the rear berth area.
Is it secured with screws or does it just lift out?
Thanks

Jan 5, 2019
Beneteau 323 City Island, NY
Hi
On the B323, yes I'm referring to the one with the shelf in the rear berth area.
Thanks
It just lifts out. Lift it up first and then pull it back towards the stern. It's a bit awkward, but not that heavy. By the way, if you haven't already removed the mattresses that are back there, that might be your first step. And just FYI - unless you're really good at jigsaw puzzles - discreetly mark the pieces of wood you'll find under the stern's double berth so you'll know which goes where. ;-)

Jan 22, 2008
... On the B323, yes I'm referring to the one with the shelf in the rear berth area.
My B323 is a 2006, and it has STRONG velcro on that shelf. Ihave to brace my feet and lean back to pull it off. Not sure why it is that tough, maybe they wanted to finish off the roll of Velcro?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Ron, your 2006 model must have had the optional velcro upgrade included in the price increase over my 2004 model... my cover/shelf just tips out easily. The shelf at the stern end of the berth comes out by removing 4 screws. Makes it easier to access and pull wire etc. if necessary.

What would really have been nice is an access panel on the starboard side of the engine to get at the water pump for impeller changes.

Jan 22, 2008
Hhmmm... stbd of the engine is the potty on mine. But then again, I don't think you have the 3YM20 ??? /// When beefing up my storage capacity for 4 crew for 16 days, I blocked off the nav station leg room for additional storage- usually for the bedding for the salon seats. To get a panel to block off the footwell, I repurposed the shelf at the aft end of the bunk, the one over the fuel tank. There is alot of storage to port of the tank, and you can store some long things in front of the tank. Setting the OEM tank shelf aside, I got plywood, stained it, cut a hatch out to easitly place stuff next to the tank. an EASY, CHEAP, UPGRADE!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019
Beneteau 323 Kenosha
Thanks everyone, I did get the shelf off at the rear of the engine.
My Beneteau 323 has the Yanmar 2GM20F engine and Kanzaki KM2P marine gear.
The Yanmar manual states that the marine gear oil is the same lube as the engine.
The Kanzaki KM2P plate says to use SAE 20/30 HD oil.
I'm using 15W-40 diesel engine oil in the engine.
So should I use the 15W-40 or the SAE 20/30 HD oil?

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I would use the HD 20/30 oil as called for on the badge plate.

Where did you get the engine oil reference? I think I am running 30 wt in my Yanmar...

Greg

Jan 23, 2019
Beneteau 323 Kenosha
When I bought the Beneteau with the Yanmar engine, the previous owner had been using 15W-40 engine oil.