Beneteau 321 on the hard

Nov 4, 2023
Beneteau Oceanis 321 Great River
Is it ok for a Beneteau Oceanis 321 to be stored on the hard with some distribution of the hulls weight on the keel? In a previous season the boat was in a cradle and the keel was hanging with no weight on it, Here is a photo of this season's on the hard.. My Beneteau 321 is a year 2000 Model and has in mast furling for the main. We also left the mast up this year for it's on the hard winter storage

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
:plus: for not having the weight of boat and keel on the cradle or jackstands.

Having the keel just hanging concentrates all of the weight of the keel and hull on the few support spots, instead of spread across the whole hull like when in the water. I’ve read about a couple boat models with winged keels where putting the weight of the boat on the keel is not advised for fear of stressing the keel hull joint, but I’ve never seen that applied to Beneteaus. Our 37 is always blocked in a cradle with the majority of the weight on the keel.

Nov 4, 2023
Thank you every one, my keel happens to be like a skeg of fin with a small torpedo bulb shap at the bottom

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thank you every one, my keel happens to be like a skeg of fin with a small torpedo bulb shap at the bottom
Doesn't really matter with regards to shape of keel; the keel should be supported on wood blocks, stands only balance hull. Don't forget to run chains to stands athwartship to prevent stands from tilting. Check every week to ensure that screws on stands are hand tight only;
(one hand only) shouldn't be dogged down excessively tight. Shouldn't see any indentions in hull. The boat will sink into ground (if not on a concrete slab) over time; therefore, more force will be exerted on jack stands, so the stands need to be checked & adjusted. Those cinder blocks and 2x6s at the forward part of the hull are not suitable for long term storage...no way to adjust. I would have the yard replace them with proper jack stands. Hate to say this, however, my opinion is the yard did a poor job of blocking your boat. :(

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023
Thanks for your response " big easy" so I guess 6 months of storage is considered " Long term storage ?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Looks fine, except for the lack of chains between the jack stands. Without the chains the jack stands can kick out from under the hull with unpleasant consequences for the boat, you, the neighboring boats, the yard and the insurance company. The repair yard does get more business.

No chains is an absolute rookie error.

Brownell wrote the book on blocking boats and made the stands your boat is sitting on. Lots of good information on how to block a boat on their website.

Nov 4, 2023
So would you place the chains just across the width or beam of the vessel ? since most of the hull is relatively flat

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The chains go across the beam of the boat. Take a look at the Brownell site, they explain it well.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You can see the placement of the chain on the 2 stands in front of the keel. All of the stand pairs have them.

IMG_1805.jpeg

Greg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks for your response " big easy" so I guess 6 months of storage is considered " Long term storage ?
Yes, 6 months would be considered long term storage. Not unusual to have to adjust the screws on the stands over the course of a couple weeks; therefore, the stands will require multiple adjustments over a period of 6 months. If the stands are not adjusted and the boat settles, you will see indentions that occur on the surface of the hull that could lead to external fractures or possibly delamination of the grid inside the boat. Some yards don't want you messing with the stands; however, most yards set them initially and forget about it, so I take the liberty to adjust them myself. I usually request that the yard move stands when I am sanding & painting.

There is a welded metal tab on the stands with a slot cut in the tab. The chain link engages the tab on the stand on one side of the boat and runs under the boat to the stand on the other side of the boat where it engages the tab on the opposing stand. The chain should be tight to prevent a stand from kicking out from high winds or the boat being bumped.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don’t need to further comment but MNF isn’t on yet and I can’t stand to watch any more news so … It looks like the yard that set up the boat with the blocking high forward of the keel, blocked like they would for a power boat. Maybe that yard is not so sailboat savvy.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Good example of how a sailboat should be blocked as seen in @Tally Ho's photo. Keel blocked, stands in proper position & chained. Your yard probably doesn't have an adequate quantity of stands, so they jury rigged substitutes.