Beneteau 235 PHRF rating/jibs

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Ben Montgomery

I bought a First 235 yesterday. Looking for what kind of PHRF ratings others have throughout the country, and also what jibs (135, 155, etc.) your boats carry. I have heard that these boats are easily overpowered, which sounds like fun, since I am a Star boat racer!

J

Joe Hanna

Try this site

Try the listed link for one of the more extensive sites I have found-most of the ratings are comparable to those in the fleets in this neighborhood.

D

David Walters

welcome

The site Joe lists is pretty comprehensive. I think the average phrf for the 235 is 198 for spinnaker and 201 for non-spinnaker. If you like the feeling of being over powered, but still like your rudder working for you, don't set the mast up with too much rake. The speed experts will tell you to extend the forestay to it's longest pin location (at the stem) and induce as much rake as you can as the boat tends not to have enough weather helm. I've found this to be true. When I've had the rig set up with the forestay pin about the middle of the stem fitting, I would need to get easily 45 degrees of heel before she would headup. Fun if you like that sailing on the edge thing, but it does get uncomfortable fast. This year I put the forestay pin on the last postion and have taken her out in a couple of fresh days. She will now start giving some weather helm about 25 degrees and solidly round up at about 35 degrees. Much better mannered in my opinion. Oh yeah, the question was what size jibs. I use a 135% on most occasions, though the wind in MN is probably lighter during the season than in the gulf. When things pipe up around 15-20 knts I put the 110% blade up. This is the original 15 yr old sail, so it is not nearly as efficient as I would like. It's on my list to change soon. Probably will go to a laminate with a nice flat shape and put some sheeting blocks inboard of the spreaders for some really narrow sheeting angles. I've got to imagine that after sailing the star, this will seem like a vacation.

B

Ben Montgomery

Thanks to both of you!

That is great. Going down to get the boat tomorrow, and looking forward to a 6-8 hour motorsail! I am very impressed with the boat's design and amenities. Girlfriend and mom will love it! Again, thanks- look forward to adding to the list soon!

K

Kelly Holsten

A sampling of F235 PHRF

I did a search across the board of various ratings of the First 235 in different locations from San Fran area to Georgia lakes to Eastern seaboard. One thing I think appears clear; the rating for the F235 is not as fair as it might be. It ranges anywhere from 174 to 212 depending on whether you are cruise, race, fin, or wing. 174 puts the boat in pretty serious company and I really think this is a bit optimistic. Take a look at this page dedicated to the Beneteau First 235 for info. I'll also link it below if I can get it to work. http://home.earthlink.net/~beneteau235/phrf.htm Kelly http://www.beneteau235.com/

B

Ben Montgomery

Thanks, Kelly!

I see that there are all sorts of ratings, with a pretty wide range. 174 is impossible. From what I have heard, 200-210 is realistic for FK/WK respectively. So, when I apply for a PHRF certificate, what are they going to look at? My boat has a wing- Mobile, AL. I certainly don't want to get hit with low 190's. Show me a wing that will point with a fin!

Status
Not open for further replies.