Bendi-Boats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2004
- - Toronto
Is it true what they say about Beneteau? ---Bendi-Boats-- That the hulls flex and that they are not robust enough to be considered a serious sailboat. I was considering purchasing a Beneteau but many (brokers) say that these boats just don't hold up well under the strain. I am told that they flex under the strains of various (mostly heavy) sea conditions and this results in structural fatigue. Ultimately money has to be spent to fix them or a regular basis so at the end of the day you will pay the price. Therefore should I consider buying a better (stronger) boat that is considered more robust? I really like the look of these boats and would like to hear from Beneteau owners. Thanks

J

Joe

Look at the record

You might wish to ask those same brokers why almost every charter boat in the Caribbean is a Beneteau. Granted, the conditions in BVI are not that challenging, but anyone who has made the trek to the leward and windward islands should advise that conditions there are less than calm. Also keep in mind that these boats generally remain in almost constant service for at least five years. Would I buy a Beneteau to round one of the capes? Probably not. Other than that, let the record speak for itself.

J

Jon McClain

You are putting us on

You must be trying to get a rise out of Beneteau owners! There is nothing to back up the comments of those brokers.! The facts simply don't support the comments. Do you really think that they became the largest builder of sailboat in the world by producing bendable boats? If you are actually thinking about buying one, I would suggest that you do your homework. Jon

P

Paul Ouellette

Count the Beneteau's...

Jason : Your question is exactly why I have posted the following self explanitory article in the Winpipe website. http://www.winpipe.ca/article2.htm If that's not enough, then count the Beneteaus in the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers (ARC) list for 2001... http://www.worldcruising.com/arc/entry01.htm Or the ARC list for 2002... http://www.worldcruising.com/arc/entry02.htm Finally, consider the travels of Andy & Liza Copeland who circumnavigated with their Beneteau 1st 38 at http://www.aboutcruising.com/ So when you ask, if a Beneteau is a reasonable boat to own, I respectfully draw your attention to the portion of the Copeland's website that states... "With their voyage around North and Central America, and trip across the Atlantic, again on their Beneteau Bagheera, they have sailed over 130,000 miles together". So, should "you" spend the money to buy a Beneteau ?? I'd say perhaps, if you want a boat that's capable of doing this sort of thing. Regards, Paul Ouellette, S/V Winpipe (B361) www.winpipe.ca www.clubbeneteau.com

R

Randall

Beneteau

Next time you're in a good bookstore, you might want to check out, "The World's Best Sailboats: A Survey", by Ferenc Mate. Beautiful book with lots of pictures and detailed analysis of how various boats are constructed and the types of decisions that designers/builders make. Bottom line, for various reasons, this author thinks Beneteau ranks right up there with the world's best. If you know something about engineering and how Beneteau hulls are constructed, you'll come to the conclusion that "bending" is highly unlikely.

Jun 25, 2004
Islander 36 San Francisco
The boat is better than any sailor I know.

As an engineer I can tell you that all new Beneteau Cruising boats are structurally engineered to a much higher standards that they need to be. There is much more than just a little extra strength designed in. These boats are tanks. They are not racers. For some reason just because modern boats are lighter than boats designs of a few years ago many people believe that these newer boats are not as “strong”. Nothing could be further from the truth. The structural engineering on new boats is substantially improved. If one of these new boats was to “fail” at sea I would bet dollars to donuts that the skill of the captain and crew (or lack of) would be a way bigger factor that the structural integrality of the boat. Anyway just my 2 cents. --Dan

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Beneteau

Jason, as a full time surveyor I see a LOT of boats, new, old, power, and sail. I see the good, the bad, and the ugly. I own a B361 and without hesitation I would buy another Beneteau. The quality is good, the workmanship is great and they sail well. I rarely find a serious problem in one. It is like anything else, there are some that have problems but for the most part they are really well made and SAFE boats. Good luck Charlie Gruetzner Oceanis Marine Services Inc

J

jeff

Beneteau 390

Im looking at a 390 oceanis 1990, was this a good year for production quality, anyone have comments on this boat, I dont believe the Bendi issue but would like to hear more. Jason is there a certain model your looking at? Jeff

Jun 7, 2004
- - Muskegon, MI

I have a 1991 390 and it's been great. As anyone will tell you, the (very)light air performance is probably its weak point(new sails may help), but it sails and behaves very well. We've had it out in 30+ knots of wind doing just fine and with 10 kts it is a pleasure. Some of my friends have commented that they like the fact that it always responds the way you expect it to. I haven't got any quality issues and it's a very dry, comfortable boat. The mix of metric and sae parts is a pain at times (lots of French stuff on a boat made in SC) but you get used to it. I'd do it the same way all over again.

B

Bill

take a tour

Do what I did, make an appointment and tour the U.S. facility in Marion S.C. See how they make them and then decide for yourself. If I decide to move up from my Oceanis 281, another Beneteau will be first on my wish list.

Status
Not open for further replies.