beginner boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Earl

Hi, I'm looking for my first real sailboat. I've got a wife and two teenagers but most of the time It'll just be me, singlehanded. I live in south Florida on the atlantic side. I would like to not only spend time in the intracoastal but also in the ocean on nice days coastal sailing and perhaps time in the keys. I need to be able to trailer launch and the First 210 sounds like a great boat. I've sailed dinghy's, been on Compac 22"s, Odays and a new Precision 23. I'm going to look at an S2 6.7 next week. QUESTION. Comparing the Beneteau First 210 with an S2 and a Precision of similar length, Which would be better to learn on, more forgiving, safe for the family and still not feel like a hunky cruiser. I know, everyone needs two or three boats to use for different applications just like cars, houses, (spouses?). But seriously, without traveling all around begging for a sail, I ask your feedback from experienced sailors. Thanks

Jun 25, 2004
Islander 36 San Francisco
First 235

I am very partial to the F235. It is easy to sail and has a lot of features. It is very well made, plus there seems to be many available in your area. There is a lot of information on this boat avaialbe on the internet. Check it out. --Dan

Jun 6, 2004
Beneteau 235 Wrightsville Beach, NC
I second the First 235

I also second the First 235 if you can find a good deal. There are currently a few very nice options on the East coast as well. This will be a boat you can grow into and offers what I believe to be one of the best combinations of performance and room in any 22-25 footer around. Also designed be Finot, there is more interior than many boats a few feet longer or more (galley, 2 burner stove, sink, enclosed head, nav station, etc). She also has a rig that can be tuned and keeps up with some heavy competition; sailed with attention paid to tuning and trim, and you can keep up with the J24 except upwind. I live on the coast and routinely sail my F235 in the ocean 2-4 times a week in anything from 5-25knts, mostly solo. This is a VERY easy boat to single-hand with all lines leading aft and a very accessable engine arrangement. On the other hand, she also does well with crew/company and the rear cabin area is great hangout for kids. The wing keel version, with a 2.9ft depth, is probably the easier of the two to trailer launch although people do with the fin as well. The rig on the F235 is the same Z/US Spars rig as on the F210 but you get far more boat for the ducats. As for resources, the F235 has more than most with great online info. I have a pretty comprehensive site dedicated to the boat: http://www.beneteau235.com/ There are also owner forums at the same site with a lot of daily input including questions and answers regarding all aspects of the F235. http://beneteau235.com/forum/ Feel free to ask any questions or drop by the F235 site/forums. On a side note, there is a First 210 for sale in Slidell, LA - it's listed on YachtWorld.com. This might be an option for you, if not the room of the F235. Kelly Beneteau First 235 http://beneteau235.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.