Bedding With Screws

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Appears to be strong consensus for using butyl tape to rebed stuff with bolts. What about screws? I have bimini surface mount hardware that has broken and I have a replacement. It is mounted with screws and does not appear to be appropriate for butyl tape since it needs to be twisted to set the screws. Silicone?
cec

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
Best is to use butyl and also pre-drill the screw holes. Then use a bigger drill bit to widen (bevel) the top gel coat so it will not crack. Pack the butyl into the beveled area so that when the screw is tightened, the tape gets compressed sealing around the screw shaft.

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
I asked because the protocol for using butyl is to NOT spin the bolt after placing the tape, which is of course not possible with screws. Bottom line is that it appears better to use butyl and spin the screw than anything else. I'll prep the hole, as described. Thanks guys.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
No, I think you will be happier with 3M 5200. Some will say "never!" since it is hard to remove. But screws into glass can generally use all the surport against backing out they can get. I've used both, and 5200 (or at least 4200) is my first choice for screws. And they are not hard to get out. Butyl just does not give the suport. And I am a big butyl fan--used some two days ago.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
There is a product on the market called "bedding compound" specifically designed for bedding items on a sailboat. It's pretty good stuff and is easy to work with and clean up.
bedding compound.jpeg

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
As a boat owner who has been screwed, listen up.

You have many things to consider, one of which is water penetration. It doesn't matter what you bed with, water will find a way between the environment and the insides. What are you screwing into? Will water ruin it somehow, ever, be absorbed? Is the item you are screwing into one solid piece or a composite of layers. Water will spread between each layer the screw penetrates. In every case on my boat where there was a screw there was substrate, lamination, and soaking damage even with goo squeezing out. Any absorbent material will never be satisfied to be dry in a wet environment and will never release the moisture by free will. Fragile lamination is 100% absorbent. Capillary action can travel 100's of feet up against gravity.

Ask yourself if you are capable of repairing the water penetration damages later, why did the bimini break off in the first place?

In all cases I had to use a screws again, the cure was to ensure that the laminating layers within were sealed and none of the laminating layers were absorbent or had layers for capillary action. I also replace anything that water can damage with a water safe replacement, in my case G10 backer board replaced the wood for something the screws could bite. The G10 was epoxied into the structure. I also let some screws go 100% though from exterior to interior. It's sealed internally, so there wasn't a need to worry about water penetration.
The screw essentially needs to be bedded like a bolt where the the drill hole is enlarged and sealed. If all the laminating layers are sealed then it doesn't matter if attached piece is covered with 5200, butyl or silicone, water will flow in and have nothing to do there. It won't leave, but it won't accumulate either.

In one case of mine the manufacture had a screw penetrate the gelcoat, FRP, and foam in a centerboard (100% below waterline). Nothing rotted, but water seeped through the threads and got trapped in the FRP/foam layer. My solution was to create a solid piece of epoxy from the gelcoat all the way into the foam so that the screw never touched the layers.

In other cases the screws penetrated the outer covering of plastic, into wood, into foam, through FRP and into wood again. The wood rotted (100% above waterline) causing cracks in the outer layers.

Seal the screw 100% inside and you won't need goo.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It doesn't matter what you bed with, water will find a way between the environment and the insides.
This has not been my experience in over 5 decades of messing about with boats of all types, both professionally and for pleasure.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
This has not been my experience in over 5 decades of messing about with boats of all types, both professionally and for pleasure.
That is good to know other are having better experiences. My experience is also with fixing shoddy home construction, paying for several roofs, resealing shower stalls. Water wants to cover the world and soak everything.

Match the importance of the connection, and reliability with longevity of use with the repair.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I like the motivation, I just can't see the practicality on every fastener. My 40 yo boat would have more water trapped in it than out. ( tongue and cheek).