Beating the Jays (J22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

William Davis

Thanks to Cliff, We were able to kick a little J-22 behind this weekend!! I was having some tuning problems with my H23 and last week Cliff helped me get things right and boy, did it pay off!! We fininshed in second on Sunday between two J-22's. It was wonderfull to not only keep up, but beat one. We crossed the finish not 100 yds in front of the second J. The winning J-22 boat just had $3000.00 of bottom work done and its fast. I need to clean up mine too. W. Davis

M

MikeY

SHARE YOUR SECRETS !

So what did you do ? I'm still confused - does more mast rake give more or less weather helm ?

W

William Davis

RE: Secrets

You asked if mast rake effects weather helm and speed, and you bet it will. Any time you are torking the helm to hold a straight course (weather helm) you are creating lots of drag on the boat. When you adjust the rake of your mast (or rigging) you want to acheeve a netural boat. No weather helm or Lee helm. Now apply the wind force and you have much less drag, and more speed. Ok, so this is what I did. I had the same problems as most h23's, weather helm, sagging boom, back stay adjuster would not go up more then about 1/2 way (mast rake too far back) So I slacked up the back stay, short stays (both sides even amount) and tightned up the forstay. I was able to get the mast to move forward to almost straight up. Sight up your main luff (track in mast) and note the bend. You can see side to side and fore/aft. I then snugged up the shortstays, and went sailing to see how the boat handled. I still had alittle weather helm, so I tightned up the forstay alittle more and now without holding the tiller the boat will track a straight course. I can change course by just adjusting the main sail or jib. I noticed some speed increase, but it really showed around other boats. I was just as fast as a J22 except on a run. They all have spinnakers. I really work the boat hard when racing, watch the jib tailtells, keep your sail trim just right, balance of the boat. I really try to out sail the other skippers more than their boats. For more tuning, contact Cliff. He is the Exp!

Status
Not open for further replies.