beaching the 26x

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Francis

I have a simple question.I was recently at lake Powell last week and noticed a couple of Mac26x beached, and other boats beached. I would of like to of done that but am conserned that if I go in to shallow my prop will hit ground and I would not be able to get back to the deep water to back out. I have a 9.9 motor that you have to hand raise.Do you need a motor that is electric that will raise up plus is the prop the same and can be angled up to avoid it from hitting? And if that is the way that it works, can a 9.9 honda be rigged like that, or do I have to buy a larger motor with the controls? I also fear scratching up the bottom if I beach the boat.I often wondered if dropping an anchor off the stern and then drift into shore would be the way to go. Then just pull on the anchor line until I get back out into deep water before I drop my motor down to start it up. I would should like some advise on this. I know it's kind of a dumb question, but I'd still like your advise. Thanks.

M

Mark Alexander

How about the keel and rudder?

Before you get the motor out of harms way, You need to lift the keel ,if applicable, and kick up the rudder. Of the many times I have beached my 88 Mac 26D, can't ever remember the motor not have clearence even with the bow on the beach. As a last resort, I would have to guess that your motor manually tilts forward. Ofcourse if the slope is so gradual that the prop hits the ground at the same time as the bow, you WILL remember next time to tilt it up beforehand and coast in. Throwing the anchor astern is always a good idea as to prevent the current and or waves from turning the stern into the shore.

D

dan

Watch the Bottom!

Yo Francis... Beaching the 26X........ Find a steep incline on the side if the lake. Hopefully mud or sand. Pull up the rudders and centerboard. Little valleys work great for protection. Power in, trim motor out of water and shut her off. Now you are BEACHED! Keep the stern in 4-5' of water to re-lower the motor. Throw out a stern anchor for stability. Fasten a bow line to a big rock. The prop is never close to trouble on a steep incline. Watch the bottom and shore for ROCKS. Any rocks will put wear on your hull. Watch for shallow areas, or you will be stuck instead of enjoying the shoreline. Walk to a level place and CHILL! Beaching is always a gamble on hull wear. Anchoring out is always safer for potential boat damage. happy beaching........dan

C

Chip Giles

two anchor technique

We learned the hard way in Key West to use two anchors, but tides were a problem. The technique still will work. As we were drifting in, pointing to the shore, I dropped an anchor off the stern. When we were in 18" of water, or so, I tied the stern anchor line off. Then I hopped off the boat and waded ashore with a line to the bow cleat. I suppose you could also use another anchor off the bow, as long as it was set properly on the shore. This keeps the boat facing shore, in the depth of water you need, and off of a rocky shore.

L

les levitan

meditarranean/powell anchoring

I make sure the beach is sand and pull right up. Get a little step to hang off the front cleat, much easier to get back up. To anchor for the night I do a med moor, drop a bow anchor, and back into the beach until you can jump off and pull the boat to almost shore, and tie the stern to shore. If you choose your beach right you can step off your stern ladder onto dry land. My dogs like this much better also. To leave just pull up on the anchor to get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.