Beaching Beneteau 323 shallow keel (1.45m)

Nov 20, 2021
beneteau 323 cumbria
Hi

Please can someone help me with a few questions about the beneteau 323 shallow keel.

can this boat be beached / dry moored?

would beaching legs be suitable for it?

how would it cope if you grounded it accidentally on an outgoing tide? Would it settle ok while you waited for the tide to come back in?

Has anyone had this happen with this type of beneteau or a similar model ?

many thanks

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Reading about the liftign keel version of the 323, I came across this message on the YBM forum...

Some experience of the 323
I have a 2004, Beneteau Oceanis 323 with lifting keel and twin rudders. She sails well, no doubt she might sail a little better with a fixed keel and bulb weight, but the performance is very good providing you don’t want to race around the cans every week. However if you do want to race then the swing keel has the great advantage of being able to partly lift the keel while running down wind. This moves the centre of lateral resistance aft, reducing the tendency to round up, increasing speed and improving handling qualities.​
My boat is on a drying mooring and there have been no problems with that. The bottom is hard gravel, some owners have had problems with previous models drying in mud, where the boat sinking into the mud forces mud up the keel box and the water above it spills into the boat. Recent models have overcome this with a drain from the top of the keel box, if you intend keeping it on a mud berth then make sure there is a drain fitted and kept clear.​
Handling is excellent, OK you do not have prop wash but providing you have at least ½ knot of way then you have steerage, forward and aft. The keel mechanism is really easy to grease with water proof grease just lower the keel while dried out, the screw simply comes out into the cabin, apply grease and replace. The keel is very easy to lift or lower, about 110 turns.​
Someone on this thread asked for the definitive difference between a lifting keel and a centre board, I would say that the difference is weight. If it is heavy enough to make a difference to the centre of gravity then it is a lifting keel. In my opinion the 323 comes within the “lifting keel” category, and what is more that is what the makers call it.​
Some of the earlier similar models, of similar design with lifting keels were more likely to fall over when dried out, the 323 with wings on the fixed keel, is much more stable, mine has been drying twice a day, all weathers since April this year, with no problems. I also have experience of my son’s First 29 with lifting keel and twin rudders, and I sailed on my brother’s Southerly 100 until recently, with no bow thruster, now that really was difficult to handle in close quarters.​
Few boats have the absolute joy of being able to get right up into really shallow waters, and also have the ability to sail well at sea, this one does, what is more it is very cheap to moor.​
George.​

Before I got serious about one of these limited edition boats, I would visit with an owner of one and bring a bottle of gin or rum to discuss the experiences of ownership.

It would appear that the year of production would be important.

The issue with beaching a boat, for me, is the rudder and the prop. Beneteau was still using an inline engine and extended prop on the 323. The use of rudders the must extend to near the depth of the keel put the rudder assembly at risk in a grounding or a dry mooring. This is just my impressions of the design.