Bavaria 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil

Hi All, > >We live on Cape Cod and will be sailing Buzzards Bay, and cruising to >Nantucket, Newport, Marblehead, Maine, etc in this coming season. I am >seriously considering buying a Bavaria 40, 2001 on the used market, is >there anything in particular I should look for in this model. This one >has 2 heads and 2 staterooms. No bunk at midships, although we need one >there too. Any mod ideas? > >Also, I have a couple of questions: it comes through with a 29hp >MD2030, is this enough power for a 17,000 pound boat to carry here >through to 6.5knots? Also, any advice on the sail config, this one has >a traditional reefing mainsail, but not fully battened, and with a 135% >Genoa and no spinnaker. What is the main tradeoff with the roller >furling main vs. reefing? I have seen allot of discussion here and >elsewhere about lack of power with the roller furling mainsail. > >It does not come through with a dodger, any recommendations on style, >etc. The boat was set up as a day/weekend boat, and we really want to >do some offshore blue water sailing eventually- so we will put the >money into her if we think it is the right boat for us. > >Many thanks, > >Phil > >

A

Alyson Wygonski

Cape Cod Bavaria 40 owner

Hey, We own a Bavaria 40 and are moored at Kingman Marine. Our boat sailed from Europe to the Caribbean and up the intercoastal waterway. It is a great boat. Just look for the "Wygonaut" this summer as Buzzard's Bay is our regular cruising ground. Love to talk "Bavaria" with you. P.S. There is also a 44 Bavaria at Kingman.

Jun 1, 2005
- - Bar, Montenegro
Unless already outdated...

...since you may have bought this (or another) boat: I own the very same version, bought new in 2002 and the boat is exactly what I wanted it to be, however: One must understand that the Bavarias are not exactly race-horses, the aim is towards comfortable sailing, sure you will be faster than comparable Hunters or Catalinas, you may give a Beneteau the run for her money but most European Performance Cruisers (Dehler, Grand Soleil, Comar, even Hanse) will likely leave you in their keel-waters. To your specific questions: I converted the main-salon table with two hydraulic feet (100 Euros each plus cost for polster and labour), three people can sleep comfortably on the resulting area. Disadvantage of roller main furling (I have a full batten main): less sail-area, poor sail trim (compared to a full batten main). Question is: will it make a real difference for your needs and type of sailing...? Only you can answer that. Engine: I have the upgraded 50 hp Volvo, this engine takes her to hull speed (!!!) (8.5 kn) at 2400 rpm, which means the engine is not yet maxed out. Unless you need to motor long distances the 29 hp will do. Dodger is a MUST. I was (alone) in some serious conditions in the Adriatic, Bora of BF 8 with 2 - 3 meter wave in the spring of 2004, was amazed what the boat can do. You should consider a storm jib, the 135 Genua will not allow high on the wind if reefed. I know nothing about reefing a roller main. Hope this helps. Peter

M

mjliet

BAVARIA

DEAR PHIL, BOAT IS GREAT! IF YOU PLANNING LONG TRIP I SUGGEST 50 HP ENGINE. IT WILL ALLOWS GOOD SPEED LESS RPM AND NOISE. IF YOU ARE NOT LOOKING FOR COMPETITION FURLING MAIL IS GOOD. CHECK CONDITION ON THE FURLING SYSTEM IT IS A MUST IN ORDER TO AVOID BIG PROBLEMS IN SEVERE STORM CONDITION. REGARDS. MJLIET

G

Graham Wood

2 bavarias in a year!

Hi, I bought a 40 last year for charter and the unthinkable happened.. she was sunk by an out of control Greek ferry whilst moored up! Fortunately no one was hurt so hence I have now replaced her with like for like - 2001 bavaria 40. I have sailed all the ramnge above 40' for some time and whilst the 50 is the best they are all excelent in all weathers. I chose the 40 as opposed to the 42 because it has "ensuite" and slightly easier to handle with two people when needed. The comment about the engine is correct; the bigger engine of 50/55HP is much better and give a good cruising supportwhen needed. There was a small problem with a batch of new ones with the water pipe to galley, but this is trivial and easy to fix. I am about to fit Webasto heating if anyone has any suggestions or has done this I would like to hear from them. Graham Wood

Jun 1, 2005
- - Bar, Montenegro
Modification to Bav 40 / 2

Hi Phil, I own the same boat: Bav 40, "owner's version", that is one aft-cabin to starbord and large locker / stowage to port. I have the 50 hp and feel it is actually more engine than one needs, never run it above 2000 rpm, well once or twice to see what would happen... nothing useable that was not already there at 1800. I motor at 6 kn. the 50 hp can go above 7 kn at 2400 but to me the extra fuel and noise is not worth the extra knot. I believe the best engine for this boat would be squat between the 29 and 50, go figure... I had my salon-settee converted: two hydraulic legs for the table (got those for 80 Euros a piece, you'll probably find them in any good Marine supply store even cheaper), a cushion fitting in the middle (40 Euros) and labor cost of 30 Euros: the resulting area sleeps two with a lot of room to spare. Under way it is definitely the calmest place in the boat, we use it frequently during night-runs. Disadvantage: lee-cloth are difficult to attach.

Jun 1, 2005
- - Bar, Montenegro
Modification to Bav 40 / 2

Hi Bob, So sorry to answer late; just returned from sailing Croatia and Montenegro. Had I known, I could have taken some pics of the converted settee; unfortunately the photos on my website are all before the conversion. In a nutshell the carpenter removed the two legs from the original table, two hydraulic poles were installed, those are attached to the same place of the old legs. Apparently the most problematic (if one can call it that) issue was to refit the boat's flooring nicely around the hydraulic poles as their base is circular rather than rectangular. I did not do the conversion myself, but had it done in my Marina in Montenegro. Hope this helps and I will take pics during my next voyage. Peter www.croatiaunplugged.com

Status
Not open for further replies.