Bavaria 36 autopilot install photos

Nov 27, 2023
Bavaria Bavaria 36 La Conner, WA
Hi,

I'm new to this group. Just purchased a 1999 Bavaria 36 with a Volvo Penta 29 hp saildrive.
The boat has no autopilot and I will be installing one myself. I reached out to Bavaria Yachts and they replied that they did offer, as an option at the time, the ST4000 and the ST6000. I would like to install today's equivalent below deck type 1 linear drive system that attaches to the rudder post or steering quadrant.

My question to this group is: Does anyone have a photo or photos of the location and mounting of the linear drive? Especially how it attaches to the rudder post or steering quadrant.

This would be so helpful.
Thanks
George P

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome George to the SBO Forums.
Congrats on your new to you boat. Will look forward to pictures of her as you enjoy the waters of the Salish Sea. La Conner is a good starting point. I have enjoyed a run through "the Ditch" when in route to northern waters.

As the images from @kappykaplan demonstrate, the power of the AP must be applied to the Rudder Shaft. The units come with a metal "tiller" that is bolted on to and bolted through the rudder shaft to provide a solid and reliable contact/control point of the rudder. The location of the drive motor (linear drive) is dependent on your boat and the space/access/strong attachment to the boat available. On first blush, you may want to disconnect and move the heater duct out of the way so that you can have complete access to the area. Since you will be installing a system you may want to access I would be inclined to reroute the heater duct to another area less in the way. I strongly suspect the heater duct was set there because it was the easiest path to take.

Good luck. You will find an AP a beneficial member to your crew. Some owners become attached and give them names.

Edit: PS... I see La Connor WA but also Florida. Not sure where you are sailing.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Welcome to the forum. We have the original Raymarine wheel (helm) steering auto unit on our 1999 Bavaria 35. It's adequate and at some future date, I may even update to the newer helm unit for smoother tracking. Enjoy your Bavaria!