Bavaria 31 Motor Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bing

Jan 3, 2009
Bavaria 31 Cruiser Laguna Quays
We have a 2008 Bavaria 31 and have experienced an overheating problem with the motor. On investigation there is very little ventilation to the engine bay, and no blower or other means of extracting the hot air. We live in the tropics in Queensland, Australia. The seawater temperature is now heating up to 26 degrees celcius. The boat is almost 12 months old. We didn't have the problem in the winter. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I have motored the Bavaria 30 and some larger Bavaria vessels with no problem, so I doubt it is from over heating in the engine room. Are you sure the water is flowing through the engine properly (seacock open, intake line not plugged, etc.) or that the reservoir for the closed antifreeze cooling system is full? Other reasons for overheating might be from air in the cooling system in conjunction with the hot water heater and heat exchanger. It needs to be bled properly. Is the thermostat opening properly? Just some suggestions.

Oct 19, 2009
lancer 28 inboard diesel Greatkills park statenisland ny
There's a good article about cooling systems in good old boats magazine. By emailing them they will send yo a free copy nov issue .allenpratt good luck!!!!

G

A friend had a similar issue on their Bav. Apparently it is not uncommon for them to draw a little air into the seawater strainer if it's not sealing properly. Sometimes you may see small bubbles in the clear hose but as mine is not the crystal clear lines they used to be I just took the following precaution anyway.
The remedy was to add a small smear of grease to the sealing faces of the housing and lid before returning to service after cleaning the filter.
Just for your info - my engine bay gets very hot as well when I've been under power for any length of time.
Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.