Bavaria 30: Owners Please Respond

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brian

Greetings: As the central Canadian dealer for Bavaria claims to not be able to get a sample of the Bav30 before January 2007 (if then) I will likely be flying down to the Boston In Water Boat Show the end of September for a day to see a sample that Wells Yachts will have on display. I have monitored several forums that discuss Bavaria and am aware of a broad range of opinions from cheap trash to solid and well made and am also aware of issues of misplaced keels. My spouse and I suspect that the Bav30 is at a price and features point that it may meet our wants in a new yacht. I do have two concerns. Firstly, the 30 does not have a proper traveller, but rather a line and block harness permanently fixed at two points either side of the main hatch. Secondly, as a shallower draft is appropriate for my local waters I would pick the shallow keel; but this is a sort of tandem keel joined by a bulb. This design differs from the other boat on our short list; the Catalina 309. This latter boat has a shallow draft option using a wing which is known locally as the Danforth Keel. Does the boom control harness work as well as a true traveller; and if not what is the observed performance penalty? Can it be controlled from the wheel by a single hander? Is the shallow keel on the Bav30 as effective as the standard one; and if not how severe is the performance trade off for the shallower draft. Of course, if a Bav30 owner wishes to express any other comments regarding fit, finish, livability, performance, and the experience of options ordered and not needed or not ordered but now regretted; PLEASE feel free to express or vent. Regards; Brian

Nov 17, 2005
- - Ottawa
Addendum

Due to the narrower side decks aft we are considering the in mast furling option. What has been the experience with the Bavaria implementation?

Aug 15, 2006
- - Norfolk, VA
Bavaria Quality / Boat Show

Hi Brian, Perhaps you might want to wait and go to the Annapolis Boat Show in Maryland, October 5 - 9. You can go to www.usboat.com for more information. I personally go on VIP day (which translates into paying more!) so that you can get on and off boats without the long lines of the weekend. There you can really compare boats, going back and forth to your heart's content. I have a 2003 B36 here on the Chesapeake Bay. I've been very happy with the performance of the boat considering how I use it and the market for which it was designed. I think the quality of overall construction for the price is excellent. It is a production boat but the fit and finish is well done. I very much like that there is no interior pan, so getting to things is easy. I love the saildrive. I have the inmast furler and it is very convenient to furl it without having to go on deck; to reef is effortless. Certainly there is some performance loss but it is worth it to me. I put on a kiwi feathering prop and that has been a superb performance enhancement. At the 3 year mark I can tell you that: (1) there are no interior leaks (2) no equipment failure (3)the finish has held up well. My one and only disappointment has been in the support service from Bavaria and specifically the importer. I've had some corrosion issues (see other Bavaria post) which I don't necessarily blame on the manufacturer or design. But trying to get assistance determining how to address it has been dismal. I think it is a great product but short on owner support. I also think their marketing is pathetic which has precluded getting the boats the attention they deserve. I can't tell you how many times I am approached and asked about it and the person has never seen one before or knows anything about them--and this is all from sailors! Good Luck. Todd Lucky Star Norfolk ,VA

Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 36 Rock Hall, MD, USA
Also - Check out the Bav 32

The Bavaria 32 is still available, new and used, and may be more to your liking. It has standard rigging and keel, very nice accommodations, and sails well. We have the Mast-furling main on our 36 - it works extremely well and is easy to use. You give up some sail area (and light-wind speed) for the convenience. For many of us - worth it :)

Nov 17, 2005
- - Ottawa

Todd: Thank you for your reply. Our preference as well was for the Annapolis show, for various reasons. When contacting the vendor to confirm presence of the Bav30 we were told that due to the end/start dates of the Boston/Annapolis shows that the 30 would be at the Boston show only; thus the Boston decision. From your post you are satisfied with the reliability of the furling main, which is a comfort to me. Brian

J

Jim

Traveler

I would not be concerned about the traveler. Boats like this don't really need travelers if you have a good vang. Because of the sliding hatch you need to have one to straddle the hatch but there is no performance lost by just leaving it centered provided the sail trim is right.

Nov 17, 2005
- - Ottawa
Annapolis show

todd Our first choice was the Anapolis show, but the Bav30 will only be in Boston. As for the other comments, thank you. Brian

AlanK

Sep 30, 2006
- - Clyde
Bavaria Cruiser 30

Hi Brian I was just browsing and came across the forum and your post. I took delivery of my Bavaria Cruiser 30 during March this year and other than one or two minor problems I am absolutely delighted with her. I opted for the long keel and in mast furling as part of my extras. The boat handles well,stands up very well against other larger and apparently faster boats. During our Summer holiday this year we cruised the Western Isles of Scotland and had on one occasion had 35kts of wind against a very strong tide. I have to say that I was very pleased with the way the boat took the seas. I have heard all the rubbish about "yes but it's a production boat" This is usually said by those who would be better off remaining silent on the subject. The fact that Bavaria have, by their processes,taken a lot of the cost implications away, means that more people are able to enjoy the purchase of a new and up to date boat.Until I was directed to Bavaria, I was expecting to have to look for something in the region of twenty years old. Now I am right up to date and loving every minute of it. Go for it, you won't regret it. All the best Alan

Nov 17, 2005
- - Ottawa
Bav 30

Alan et al.: Thank you for your time. The "local dealer" is only a 4.5 hour drive from us. He still does not have a Bav30 of his own to show, but will have one on display for three weeks from sometime the end of October or early November. This boat is stopping briefly in Toronto on its way across the country to its new Vancouver owner. My spouse and I will see it while it is in Toronto...finally. I would still be interested in any other owner insight you may have. Brian

Nov 17, 2005
- - Ottawa
Bavaria 30 Cruiser

Alan et al.: Thank you for your assorted comments. The Toronto dealer (a mere 4.5 hours away by car) reports that there will be a Bav30 stopping for three weeks in Toronto sometime in November, on the way to its new Vancouver owner. I have contracted to see it then. I am currently focused on the Bav30 and the Catalina 309/310. I am still looking. Alan, if you have the time I would appreciate a more detailed statement of your delivery and sailing experience with your new boat. You could e-mail this to: Brian.Amirault@pwgsc.gc.ca I will let the thread know how the Toronto viewing goes. If a current owner has anything I should be specifically looking for, mention it here. Regards; Brian

S

Simone Marangoni

I'm interested too!

First of all I'm sorry for my terrible language! As a future sailboat owner, after a loto of years on motor boat, I' searching everywhere on the Web about Bavaria 30 Cruiser. I like simple but strong construnction of this boat as I know that future use will be cruising. I love the silent power of the wind, I cannot stand diesels anymore, but I'm planning holiday and week end cruising, not reagatta racings. So I think Bavaria is the right answer, as I don't like french construction, very very weak! If Alan or someone other want to add details on 30 Cruiser behaviour under wind, over the waves and so on, everything will be appreciated! Even sailing and port photos of this boat. I add my e-mail too: mail@capitansimon.it Many thanks and best regards!!! Simon

M

mayall@btinternet.com

Bav 30 experience

Overall the boat has performed well and the quality of the mouldings, save for some minor imperfections in the deck gelcoat, and interior is evident after the first summers use. I would certainly buy another after my experience. The UK importer has performed very well in terms of the small amount of after sales service we have needed. The lack of a main sheet track is an issue, but if the inmast option is chosen, at least the balance of the boat can be easily maintained by a small amount of reefing. I singlehand from time to time and this has not proved to be difficult. The design of the boat is that of a cruiser, so some compromises must be accepted in speed and weatherliness terms. I have the deep keel, so cannot comment on the shallow version. Does one really want a large hole in the keel? for you to decide!

Nov 17, 2005
- - Ottawa
Toronto Bav30 Viewing

The Bavaria 30 viewing event turned out to be a bust. Leaving at 0500 Saturday by road to the marina we arrived at 1030 to find the shop closed and a note on the door. Called the number and spoke to a sales representative. Weather prevented the ship carrying the boat from docking and hence arrival will not be until today (Tuesday). Didn't we get the e-mail canceling the Saturday viewing? MAde the 5.5 hour return trip the same day. On the road for 11 hours. We saw heavy rain, traffic and no boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.