Battery Upgrade on a Catalina 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
The battery upgrade to my Catalina 30 was very easy to do and I highly suggest it. I have two group 27 batteries wired in parallel and one sealed group 27 battery for a starting battery. Battery #1 is the start battery and Battery #2 is the house batteries.

The first thing that I did was to create a bracket for the new battery. I located this in the storage area under the quaterberth. I fiberglassed an angled wooden piece directly to the hull and then I screwed a plastic battery bracket onto the wooden bracket.

The next step was that I took battery #1 wire out of the factory battery area by chasing it down behind the nav station to the fuse panel. I then ran the hot wire down to the new location under the quaterberth. This is where the sealed group 27 battery goes because it is at a slight angle in my boat and it is a tight fit.

You will require a new 6' long negative cable. Drill a hole in the bottom of the factory battery box to lead the negative cable through there. Go ahead and run the cable from the factor battery box, under the nav station, and to the new location to the start battery (I used a coat hanger to run a piece of rope and then taped the rope to the battery cable and ran it under the nav station.

The next step is to mount all three batteries in place. You then run the hot lead to battery #2 to one of the hot posts on the group 27 batteries in the factory battery storage area.

After that you will use a short hot cable. Run it from the hot post of one battery in the factory battery box to the other hot post of the battery in the factory battery box.

The next step is to run the original factory negative cable to one of the batteries in the factory battery area. Run a short negative cable to the negative post of the other battery in the factory battery box. Finally hook up the negative cable that runs from the factory battery box to the new location of the start battery. Now you are in business.

You want to buy all three batteries at the same time so that they are similar. My two house batteries were two deep cycle group 27 batteries for marine use that I bought from Walmart. The start battery is a starting battery, sealed, from West Marine.

I highly suggest adding a battery monitor at this point. I put a Link 10 into my system when I did this upgrade and it is one of the best things that I have done. It definitely gives you peace of mind (it is mounted right by the ground fault electrical outlet on the Nav Station). I have never gotten below 90% of my house batteries and I had sat on the hook for three days using an inverter to run the laptop, the cabin lights, and the anchor light.

I have switched out the incandesent bulb in the cabin (the main brass light mounted over the table) with a Dr. Led Bulb. I do not have refridgeration right now but in the future it is a possibility. If I did I would start trying to find another location to put a third house battery. This is one area that Catalina could have improved the design by adding a bigger battey area.

I hope that this helps. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask them. I will try to get photographs at some point in time.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Good work, BadO. Only thing I would suggest: stop calling it a start battery and clal it an emergency or reserve bank. YOu can start the engine on your house bank and only use the reserve bank if there's a problem with your house bank. Maine Sail and I and others discussed this a few months ago.

To add a little bit, that you don't discuss. The alternator output should be placed to the house bank, with a separate way to connect the reserve bank for charging (echo charger, duo charge, combiner, or switch). The only things coming off the 1-2-B switch should be the distribution panel and the starter. Many people have the alternator output going to the 1-2-B switch. See this for further discussion: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4623.0.html

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hello Bad Obsession,
Do the two batteries under the nav station fit well in the holder. I have a 24 that fits inside a battery case, but my larger 27 doesn't fit with the case. It is actually too tight even without the case. I've placed 1/2 inch plywood under it to provide a uniform base. Since I have a gas engine the fuel tank is under the 1/4 berth so I'm not sure if that's a good spot for the back-up battery. Any thoughts?
All U Get

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Re: Battery Upgrade

BadO - Thanks! A timely post as I'm getting ready to upgrade the batteries/system on my '93 30. Pix would be a great help. My plan has been similar - to include a third 'emergence start' battery in the quarter berth storage. Also replacing the stock charger with a Xantrex 20 and monitor.
Any particular difficulties with the installation?

Feb 26, 2004
Re: Battery Upgrade

The Catlaina 30 Association website would be a good resource for finding out about stuff fitting somewhere on that particular boat: www.catalina30.com

May 23, 2004
The one thing that may be different is that it sounds like you have a MK I if your batteries are under the nav station. MK II moved the batteries under the seat on the port side of the boat just forward of the nav station.

As far as complications, I have to say that the hardest part for me was running the wires (which wasn't that bad). This upgrade takes a little bit of time because of fiberglassing the new area for the battery storage, but it isn't that bad.

If I do add refridgeration to the boat then I might add a third group 27 to the house bank.....God knows where I am going to put that because there aren't many open places left in the boat. Maybe in the rear Lazzerette but that would take some serious modifications back there.

May 23, 2004
Jim...where is Eastport? Are you anywhere near the 301 bridge over the potomac? If so I would be glad to show you the modification in person if you were interested in seeing it.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
BadO, I am also planning a battery upgrade. My battery box is under the starboard settee next to the nav station. It's completely fiberglass in measuring roughly 26" x 10-1/4" by 9-1/2" high. I have 2 group 24's 65ah each. Way not enough. I've been looking everywhere for a pair of the largest AH rated battery that will fit. The best I can find so far where a pair of group 31's from defender that will fit in this location without cutting away at the fiberglass but I can't use battery boxes. They are 140AH which will give me 280AH's. I do have refrigeration but I haven't used it because of power consumption. I usually freeze a few gallons of water and whatever foods we're bringing which carries us for the weekend. I, like Stu advised, plan on running the alternator directly to the house bank and use an echo charger to charge the emergency bank.
I figure to buy a small automotive battery as a start/emergency battery. I bought a smart charger to regulate the alternator charging but now am faced with buying a high output alt. We are on a mooring so plugging in never happens. I've been toying with the idea of adding an 85W solar panel instead of the smart charger/alternator combo. Boats!

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
battery upgrade

....My battery box is under the starboard settee next to the nav station. They are 140AH which will give me 280AH's.
Can you provide the specifics on the Defender's batteries --I believe your MarkIII is the same arrangement as my '93 Mark II.

FOB

Feb 11, 2006
Hunnter 356 Fifty Point, Ontario
2 golf carts or a single 27?

Should i go with 2 golf cart Bats? I purchased my C30 in lat Aug / 08. i have a one year old sealed 24 which is used for starting, and a group 27 that needs to be replaced. I love the setup that Bad O has set up, but i wont be able to do any modifications for the 3rd bat this season due to other projects that are first in line. I was thinking of putting 2 golf cart batteries in parallel that will fit in the 27 box. What are your thoughts on golf cart bats over a single group 27 as a house bank?

May 23, 2004
I doubt that you can get a golfcart battery in the battery area. Go to Walmart and buy two group 27 deep cycle marine batteries. This gives you plenty of battery power and it is cheap. Like $90 a battery or less.

Oct 2, 2008
Wal Mart

I doubt that you can get a golfcart battery in the battery area. Go to Walmart and buy two group 27 deep cycle marine batteries. This gives you plenty of battery power and it is cheap. Like $90 a battery or less.

Hi Bad O,
Just checked the marine batteries at the local Wal Mart, 27 marine starter on the shelf for $90. I'm thinking when needed that is a good deal. Would it be best to get the entire battery bank changed at the same time?
All U Get

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Allyouget,

don't buy start batteries. Make sure they're deep cycle using 2 wired in parallel. Then find a location to add a start battery. This subject is quite confusing and there are many different opinions. Suggest you read the link posted by Stu Jackson from the Catalina 34 group. Very informative and a great way to start an upgrade.

Oct 2, 2008
Oops, I guess I didn't say I was going to use the battery for starting only. I'll check Stu's article.
All U Get

Feb 26, 2004
Reserve bank battery - electrical system design

As some of us have been suggesting, you may want to start calling your Non-house bank the reserve or emergency bank, NOT the start bank.

The reason for this is because you can use your house bank to start the engine. The reserve emergency battery should be for just that: just in case...

Maine Sail did a writeup recently about how little energy is drawn when starting an engine. Keep the emergency reserve battery topped (charged but not overcharged) up, and use it as a backup should you ever need it.

As mentioned before, get your alternator output off the 1-2-B switch if you still switch like that and run it to your house bank.

And here's another link with discussions by Maine Sail and me. http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=104505

Last edited:
May 23, 2004
If you are building the house bank buy the batteries together at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.