battery terminal covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

njl

May 30, 2011
Westsail 32 NYC
My surveyor noted that I do not have the positive terminals of my batteries covered as required by USCG.

I've been hunting for a vinyl cover, but am concerned about the sizing of the vinyl covers I see online. My batteries have two terminals for each pole - one accepts the standard clamped connector and the other has a wingnut. (like this: http://www.sears.com/diehard-marine-deep-cycle-rv-battery-group-size-24m/p-02827494000P).

Any ideas as to where I can order something that will fit? Or could I just sew up a custom leather cover?

gpdno

May 16, 2011
Watkins 27 Venice
My batteries have the same connectors. Blue Seas makes covers that fit over the terminals. Bought mine at West Marine.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
My surveyor noted that I do not have the positive terminals of my batteries covered as required by USCG.

I've been hunting for a vinyl cover, but am concerned about the sizing of the vinyl covers I see online. My batteries have two terminals for each pole - one accepts the standard clamped connector and the other has a wingnut. (like this: http://www.sears.com/diehard-marine-deep-cycle-rv-battery-group-size-24m/p-02827494000P).

Any ideas as to where I can order something that will fit? Or could I just sew up a custom leather cover?

If your batteries are in their own "compartment" intended only for the batteries your surveyor may be steering you incorrectly. These are the ABYC standards for terminal protection.

"10.7.7 To prevent accidental contact of the ungrounded battery connection to ground, each battery shall be protected so that metallic objects cannot come into contact with the ungrounded battery terminal and uninsulated cell straps. This may be accomplished by means such as;

10.7.7.1 covering the ungrounded battery terminal with a boot or non-conductive shield,
or
10.7.7.2 installing the battery in a covered battery box,
or
10.7.7.3 installing the battery in a compartment specially designed only for the battery(s)."

The "ungrounded" terminal is the + terminal.

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
I was told the same thing initially, but as I did the research, I was right that a battery box with a cover will suffice. Just make sure that the box is properly secured. I often find batteries in boxes that the lids are on, but the box is not secured to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.