Battery size for a C30

Dec 30, 2014
Catalina 30 Middle Bass Island, Oh.
I bought the boat a year and a half ago. Put her to sleep last October, had a back operation this spring and she never went back into the water. The boat yard I am storing her was sold around August and after speaking with the new owners, my three Delco Voyager batteries that were taken out and stored by the boat yard are now missing. I don't know what size they were. Can anyone recommend what I need to replace them with? Thanks for your help!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Were they in plastic battery boxes ? Most common size is probably group 27, however if you have 3 sounds like a PO may have added a third starting battery sometimes a smaller size like a 24 is used. I'll add a link to the battery group size measurements. Do you need to replace all 3 now to launch or is the boat staying in winter storage ?
http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

Dec 30, 2014
Thanks Ted. I will launch in the spring so I have all winter to get this resolved.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Sizing battery banks require an insight into the individual needs based on the type of sailing. A day sailor will have different needs than a coastal cruiser. I would imagine you will start day sailing and perhaps a few overnights so I would recommend that until you are able to determine your individual needs that you start with a basic and inexpensive setup. I would get two wet cell, Deep Cycle, Group 27 batteries to serve as the house battery bank. Walmart usually have fresh batteries for around $80. For engine starting and redundancy you may use a more economical Group 24 Starter battery or even a third Deep Cycle Group 27. Usually the house batteries are grouped together in parallel to create a single battery bank and the starter makes up a separate battery bank connected to a battery switch controlling power distribution and charging functions. You have time until spring to figure out the installations and what you intend to do.

Dec 30, 2014
Thanks Benny. Just what I needed. I will probably go with three Group 27s. I know how they are installed, I just didn't know what size. Appreciate you help.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I've got two GC6s under the chart table as the 'main' bank. I've got a 'reserve' G24 under the starboard settee right in front of the chart table. I do everything off of the main bank - starting, house loads, etc.. The reserve is really only there in case I kill the main bank. I'm not sure I could locate 2 G27s in that location. The boat came with two crap G24s.

You can also locate batteries under the counter (by the muffler), below the aft drawers in the galley, starboard of the fuel tank aft of the chart table, and of course in the rear laz.

I do not like the typical G27 batteries. 2 GC6s have more capacity, are far more tolerant of deep discharges, and are about the same price.

Aug 20, 2009
Catalina C30 Oakville
everyone is making very good points in this thread. As I retail marine batteries, I would agree with most of what is posted here. I would say G24s in general too small for this boat, G27s good G31s too big really, and a couple of quality Golf Cart (GC) batteries are great as a house bank. The Univer or A4 dont really require a starter battery .. they both turn over pretty easy, I would agree if you can fit 3 G27s that might be the overall best. As mentioned above your needs will dictate.
Only issue with GCs is charging as you have to charge the 2 as 1 bank - but they are hardy and some unbalanced charging is expected in the GC business.