Battery (re)location

calvin

Jul 30, 2019
Hunter 335 Port Orchard
I was curious if anyone had moved the battery location on their Hunter 33.5. The batteries on some models seem to be above the fuel tank in the aft port cockpit locker next to the shore power outlet. Others seem to have them under the aft berth, while yet others have them under the berth on the port side in the main cabin next to the nav station.

I'm considering moving them to the port berth in the main cabin. Has anyone else done this move?

Thx...

Calvin

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Calvin,
When I had my 33.5, the batteries were located under the aft berth (original position from factory). Think that I had two Gp 31’s for the house bank and one Gp 27 starter battery located in front of the engine. That was a good location as it was a short run to the alternator and battery charger and relatively easy access for servicing. I preferred having the storage space under the port settee available for other storage. If you’re doing extensive cruising, having them in the stbd cockpit lazarette would free up space under the aft berth for more interior storage.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I did it on my H34. They were originally in the starboard lazerette (the dungeon) way down in the bottom where they were hard to get to and contributed to the H34 starboard list. I moved them under the port side settee midsip. Easy to get to and better balanced boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Calvin batteries can be located where ever you want them.

You just need to consider the factors that are affected by the choice you are making.
  1. Batteries are heavy. Think 60 to 125 pounds each depending on the ones you selected. So two 31’s could be a big teenager crew member two D4’s is like a fit football tackle. And your going to place him on your boat somewhere. Best choice is low and central to the keel.
  2. Access. Critical factor for lead acid units. You need to be able to service them. Or replace them.
  3. Cables. The further the batteries are from the DC panel and the engine the bigger diameter power cables needed. The more complicated the routing of the wires, the more cost for cables, and the greater weight added to the boat.
Balance these and you are ready to tackle a good project.