Battery power

Jun 2, 2018
hunter 376 toronto
I have a reading of about 13.35 for my house bank and 12.25 for starter battery. This is when the engine is running or when plugged to shore power. The starter battery is brand new the house batteries are not. When i turn the engine off my starter battery reads 11 to 10.90.what should i be checking first. Its a heart intrrface link 200-r. I'm feeling a bit lost on the reading i've done and am having difficulty getting a marine electrician to look at it.
Thx

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
A new battery takes less charge, all things being equal, compared to an older battery.
That's because the older battery loses charge quicker than the new.
Take the older battery to an auto parts store for a "Load" test.
I suspect it's shot.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Can you describe how the batteries are receiving charge? Specifically the ‘start’ battery - through an isolator or some other interconnection?
They are separate circuits except when charging so the means by which you have them wired to both receive charge voltage is crucial to answering your question.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I suspect it's shot.
Yes, need new battery. Assuming it is a wet cell battery, do you check its fluid level and add distilled water if low? If battery is over 6 years old replace it. Also clean the contacts and apply lanoline to keep them from coroding. Its voltage should be the same as the house batteries while charging with battery switch set to ALL position.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Yes, need new battery. Assuming it is a wet cell battery, do you check its fluid level and add distilled water if low? If battery is over 6 years old replace it. Also clean the contacts and apply lanoline to keep them from coroding. Its voltage should be the same as the house batteries while charging with battery switch set to ALL position.
His start battery is “brand new” as he described it.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
His start battery is “brand new” as he described it.
Oops, I missed that, thanks Don.
I am concerned about the unlike voltage while charging. This indicates high resistance connection. You must measure not across the battery terminals, but from shunt side to positive of both batteries. If while not charging the starter battery is very low, it indicates that the starter battery is trying to charge the house batteries which are bad.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
I have a reading of about 13.35 for my house bank and 12.25 for starter battery. This is when the engine is running or when plugged to shore power. The starter battery is brand new the house batteries are not. When i turn the engine off my starter battery reads 11 to 10.90.what should i be checking first. Its a heart intrrface link 200-r. I'm feeling a bit lost on the reading i've done and am having difficulty getting a marine electrician to look at it.
Thx
Crew, take the starter battery back to were you bought it and have them check it. The low voltage when it is not under charge indicates something is wrong! Bad "new" batteries are not that uncommon!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I am concerned about the unlike voltage while charging. This indicates high resistance connection.
Not necessarily. I could simply mean the start battery is not getting a charge, any charge, no charge at all.
Crew, take the starter battery back to were you bought it and have them check it. The low voltage when it is not under charge indicates something is wrong! Bad "new" batteries are not that uncommon!
WADR, based on the OP I think you have this completely backwards. The start battery is the new one. You are assuming it is getting a charge.
Until he answers Don's question about how it is wired to get charged, we do NOT know there is anything wrong with the battery itself.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
what should i be checking first. Its a heart intrrface link 200-r.
You should be checking how the batteries get charged.
The Link 2000r is a battery monitor and alternator regulator combined. If you don't have the manual, get it from the Xantrex website under discontinued equipment.
I have a Link 2000 and know how it works, intimately, and would be glad to explain it to you if you have specific questions.
What charger do you have? Often Link 2000 units are installed with Heart Freedom combined inverter/chargers. But you could simply have the Link 2000r as a monitor regulator separate from a Freedom I/C.
All in all, you need to describe your system much better for anyone to be able to help you.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Battery voltage should be checked wit the batteries at rest (no loads-no charge) for at least 2-3 hours. A battery that has been charging will immediately show a higher voltage than actual while a battery that has been driving a load will show a lower voltage than actual. A fully charged battery should show a voltage at rest of 12.7V. Your charging voltage should be around 13.4V so your house bank at 13.35V is within reason. Your readings for the starter battery are way off, actually showing a dead battery. You need to figure out if the battery is healthy; the incidence of new battery failures is large enough to have forced manufacturers to provide warranty plans. I would take that battery to an auto parts store and have them check it. If the battery tests good but needs charge then the problem is within the charging system. Figure from what source is the starter battery getting its charge. If it is exclusively from the alternator and all the voltage you are reading is 12.25V then there is a problem with the alternator.

Feb 23, 2018
Hunter 356 Marseille
Do you have a charge seperaror? it could be that the power from alternateur that charges through the seperateur isnt getting to your starter battery. Check the charge from the seperator when the engine is running? Ive had a Cristec seperator less than 2yrs old fail.
Just another trail to follow ;)