Battery Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2008
Catalina 30 Pensacola
I accidentally topped off my lead acid batteries today with distilled vinegar instead of distilled water. Will this harm anything? Is it dangerous in any way?

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
It can't be good for 'em, but if they didn't boil over or short when U first started using the batteries again, then I would just use'm & hope for the best. Not sure exactly what the change in PH & aklalinity will do to the batteries. Vinegar will probably accelerate corrosion of the lead plates, but they are fairly inert to corrosion. It may shorten their lifespan, but as U can't easily replace the sulfuric acid in the chambers (dangerous to even attempt), I would just use'm till they wear out, as all batteries will eventually do eventually.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Confused the head with the batteries? :):):)

Someone with a better chemical and metallurgical background than I have will have to answer that.

However, given the fact that much will depend on HOW MUCH you added, and to how many cells before you discovered your gaffe, would certainly help in answering the question. Care to share?

Apr 17, 2008
Catalina 30 Pensacola
1-2 onces per cell. Topped off both of them, hooked them up, and used them all afternoon. Didn't discover my error till this evening.

Oct 15, 2008
Catalina 30 Mexico
Considering that starting the engine is potentially a critical function of the battery, I would at least replace the starting battery. If the house batteries also are of great importance, then I would replace those also. Multiple batteries offer a back-up (depending how wired), but the possible failure of all of them could be a disaster. I still have not been able to get the Cat 30 up to speed with a sail to "pop the clutch" and start the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.