Battery Location 2000 Hunter 290

Aug 26, 2024
Hunter 290 Holiday/Mandarin
I purchased a 2000 Hunter 290 recently. I have been refreshing all the systems one by one going through the boat. I have been looking for the starting/house batteries but have had no luck in finding them. I have searched both starboard and port settee's. My starboard settee is an L shape, it contains the marine air, battery charging system and water heater. The port settee has only the refer compressor. I have checked below the sole, in the bilge compartments in the salon, and still no luck. I have removed the cushions in the aft birth and checked each of the five compartments. Searching the internet says they might be in the center compartment in the aft birth below the cushions. But that is where the exhaust is. I have even removed the bulk head wall in the aft berth to gain access to the black and fuel tanks and the batteries are not there. I have also checked the starboard lazarette, as well as the starboard/aft lazarette . Is there a hidden compartment somewhere? What am I missing?? There is no port side lazarette. The Port/aft lazarette is the propane locker. Does anyone know where Hunter hides their batteries on a 2000 Hunter 290?

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
Hmmm ... strange! I think the dealer has some flexibility on where to install the batteries and they might change things up if you've got AC and/or windlass. On my essentially identical H306 (but no AC or windlass), two group 24 batteries are installed in the aft starboard settee just forward of the nav station. The battery switch is on the aft side of the settee. I know of others where the batteries are installed in the starboard compartment just forward of there. It sounds like you've searched just about everywhere, but you didn't mention the compartments in the v-berth. There's certainly space up there that could accommodate batteries, and might make a little sense especially if you've got a windlass. I mean, it sounds like you've searched everywhere else.

If you still don't find them in the v-berth, you'll have to trace your cables from the engine, battery switch, and/or charger. I bought a cheap boroscope/endoscope to help with my various boat spelunking and investigating the various inaccessible regions of the boat.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
+1 for the bore scope. I purchased one from Amazon that attaches vi wireless to my iphone. I think it was around $16 and have used it for a lot of stuff, both on the boat and at home.

Aug 26, 2024
Hmmm ... strange! I think the dealer has some flexibility on where to install the batteries and they might change things up if you've got AC and/or windlass. On my essentially identical H306 (but no AC or windlass), two group 24 batteries are installed in the aft starboard settee just forward of the nav station. The battery switch is on the aft side of the settee. I know of others where the batteries are installed in the starboard compartment just forward of there. It sounds like you've searched just about everywhere, but you didn't mention the compartments in the v-berth. There's certainly space up there that could accommodate batteries, and might make a little sense especially if you've got a windlass. I mean, it sounds like you've searched everywhere else.

If you still don't find them in the v-berth, you'll have to trace your cables from the engine, battery switch, and/or charger. I bought a cheap boroscope/endoscope to help with my various boat spelunking and investigating the various inaccessible regions of the boat.
That's exactly where my battery switch is. But where your batteries are, is where my marine air is. The batteries are not in either starboard or port settee. My starboard settee does have the charging appliance mounted just forward of the marine air. Forward of the charger is the water heater. I'm wondering if the batteries were relo'd due to the marine air install. I just can't find where. I have traced for hours, but even with the marine air, it's been crazy hot here in Florida so once the heat hits me, I have to take a break. So this has been a multi day search. My fuel gauge doesn't work, so I was happy to get to the tanks behind the aft bulk head in the aft berth. I need to get a pic with my phone of the fuel sending unit so I can order a new one. But again, the batteries, it is extremely frustrating. They should be easy to find as I assume they're marine batteries so large, not like motorcycle batteries. I have looked in the engine area and tried to follow the cables, but they go under fiberglass and into the abyss, so tough to trace. I figured they would need to be close to the charger in the starboard settee, but they're not. Crazy marine manufacturers. I do not have a windlass, but you are correct, I have not searched the v-berth. I just assumed they would need to be center and back somewhere for weight on the boat. I know the fresh water tank is below the vberth bed but I haven't searched in there yet.

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I assume they're marine batteries so large,
Maybe maybe not. Could be a pair of Car Batteries.
You know they need to be charged.
Two likely charging sources.
  • An electric charger powered by shore power.
  • Or a charge from the engine alternator (red wire).
Trace a large (10 or bigger AWG) red wire from either of these sources.

Likely center of boat near engine. if not visible, then in a cabinet or under a bed or bench seat.

Good luck.

Ripping all the cushions and gear out of the boat placed on the dock is often a sign that something is missing and the search is on.:biggrin:

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
This shows the battery location in the cockpit lazerette for my 1999 H-310 and agrees with how I received it from the factory. The H-290 and H-310 are almost identical.
1724693732878.png

The batteries are big and heavy and cannot be stored anywhere else on the boat and not be painfully obvious. Hate to piss on your cornflakes, but if the two factory supplied batteries are not located as shown, the PO made off with them.

Just out of curiosity, do the internal 12V lights work ?

Aug 26, 2024
This shows the battery location in the cockpit lazerette for my 1999 H-310 and agrees with how I received it from the factory. The H-290 and H-310 are almost identical.
View attachment 227062

The batteries are big and heavy and cannot be stored anywhere else on the boat and not be painfully obvious. Hate to piss on your cornflakes, but if the two factory supplied batteries are not located as shown, the PO made off with them.

Just out of curiosity, do the internal 12V lights work ?
That corner/aft/starboard lazerette has my manual bilge pump in it. I don't remember seeing any batteries there, but will look again to see if they're below the shelf/bottom in there. And tbh, I don't remember if I have tried the 12v lights when not plugged into shore power. They do work, but I think I've only used them when plugged into shore power. I have started the engine out when sailing several times so I know I at least have the starting battery. Although again, I have no idea where it is. My bet is the PO hadn't changed out the batteries in forever which is why I want to get them checked and replaced if necessary, so I don't get stranded out a long way from home. Your schematic shows your battery A/B switch back in that lazerette as well. Mine is mounted to the settee on the starboard side of the salon just below the NAV station. In that settee on the other side of the wall is my marine air which is the aft starboard settee in the salon. I know for sure my black tank is underneath where your batteries are.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
That corner/aft/starboard lazerette has my manual bilge pump in it.
So, seems there are some significant differences between the two boats. There's definitely something in there that seems similar to a battery but when I look at the size of mine, I can't imagine where they'd be hidden. A corner's got to be protruding somewhere.

Grasping at straws here, but can you get a picture of your hull identification number which is cast into the hull. It's in the proximity of the aft starboard portion of the hull where it joins the deck. I'm wondering if he boat came from somewhere other than Florida. I understand this was a practice in the far and distant past but as to more recent times, I have no idea. Any ideas, @Crazy Dave Condon ?

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
I had to check my 306 manual. The factory location for batteries is next to the nav station. The factory location for AC is under the v-berth. If the AC is next to the nav station, then the v-berth is a strong contender for the battery location. OP hasn't checked the v-berth yet. They pulled the ol' switcheroo. It's gotta be v-berth.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Owner’s manual for Hunter 290 , page 63A-3. It shows to be located starboard side foward of galley for battery #1 with space for optional second battery. Manual can be found under hunter boat information