Batteries ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert

I recently bought a used Mac 26, and am trying to get the nav lights working. Well, in removing the two batteries, I found one deep cycle marine (trolling) battery and one that looks like an ordinary car battery hooked in series. What type of battery am I supposed to use? Which type is best, or does it matter? And finally, should different types be hooked in series like this?

T

Tim Bastian

Battery help

Robert, Let me qualify myself. I'm an aircraft mechanic not a boat mechanic so maybe someone with more boat experience would be a better source for information. That being said I'll give you my best opinion. It seems common to find one deep cycle and one standard battery in the same boat. However I would not think that they would be hooked in series. I have seen them hooked in parallel but the best solution is to have a switch panel where you can select your power source. That way if one battery goes dead you have a backup source of power. In series they would produce 24 volts. Is your system set up for 24 or 12 volts? If your system is set up for 24 volts it would explain why they are in series. If it's a 12 volt system and in series it may also explain why the lights don't work. Check the fuse panel for blown fuses and check the light bulbs for blown bulbs. If either or both have occurred it's likely that the batteries were wired incorrectly. Also check the voltage with a multi meter if you have one. See what kind of voltage you are really getting. If it is close to what your system is rated for then your probably ok. Are all of your lights inoperative? If not I would start looking at each circuit to see that there are no broken wires. Start at the ends of the wires first. If all of the connections to the switches and light fixtures are good, I would then check the wires for continuity. If the wires are good start tracing the voltage source from the battery out to find where it stops. If I can be of further assistance please let me know. Tim Bastian

R

Ron Buckles

Be careful!

Tim gives good advice. However, everyone must remember, when batteries are not correctly wired in, things burn. (See link) Usually there is no fuse between the battery and the switch/panel and shorts will create a fire and will burn until the wire melts. Please (!) if you do not feel absolutely comfortable wiring your batteries, I would suggest you get someone like Tim to look everything over before installing the batteries. Good luck, Ron

C

Charles

Batteris

I've had my 93 Mac 26 since May, and just tried hooking up a battery to the system this last weekend. They wouldn't work and after some help from some friends of mine, we discovered that most of the connections had gone bad.

R

Robert

Dead Battery

Tim, Thanks for the great info. I brought the batteries in and had them checked. One was drawn way down, the other was completely dead. I now have a recharged battery and one brand new battery. My system is 12 v. and I meant to say parallel not series. (My mistake, thanks for catching that). I checked the fuses and they are good. I plan to hook things up this weekend and see what happens. If the battery that was drawn down wasn't damaged too bad, it should work. Thank you again, Robert

T

Tim Bastian

Ley me know how is goes.

Robert Best of luck with the new battery. If I can be of any further assistance please let me know. Tim Bastian

M

Michael Shomate

Get a good charger and learn how to maintain

Get a good charger and learn how to maintain you batteries. The related link below shows the dual battery charger I just purchased to maintain my batteries. The site below is also a great place to learn about batteries. If you don't maintain your batteries properly, you will be doomed to buying a lot of batteries or being without power when you need it. -Mike-

M

Michael Shomate

Get a good charger and learn how to maintain

Get a good charger and learn how to maintain you batteries. The related link below shows the dual battery charger I just purchased to maintain my batteries. The site below is also a great place to learn about batteries. If you don't maintain your batteries properly, you will be doomed to buying a lot of batteries or being without power when you need it. -Mike-

C

Curtiss Grant

Batteries

Not certain if this thread is still active but my 2 cents worth. 1 1/2 years ago, I replaced both of my dead batteries with a big 950 cranking amp battery for trolling motor or golf cart. It cost $60 from SAMS and works great. I seldom recharge it and have only caught one with a low battery. After that, I installed a new switch panel with an indicator for the juice in the battery. Regarding wiring problems, old connections may look okay but still give troble and that awfull interminent stuff. My solution was to replace the wiring panel. I highly recommend moving the new one to a higher area than down on the floor. Good Luck

C

Curtiss Grant

Batteries

Not certain if this thread is still active but my 2 cents worth. 1 1/2 years ago, I replaced both of my dead batteries with a big 950 cranking amp battery for trolling motor or golf cart. It cost $60 from SAMS and works great. I seldom recharge it and have only caught one with a low battery. After that, I installed a new switch panel with an indicator for the juice in the battery. Regarding wiring problems, old connections may look okay but still give troble and that awfull interminent stuff. My solution was to replace the wiring panel. I highly recommend moving the new one to a higher area than down on the floor. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.