Batteries - Reserve Capacity vs. Amp Hours

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
A number of times on this and other forums I have come across situations where a battery owner is confusing RC with Ah and wanted to quickly address this.

Battery life/longevity is a constant topic of frustration for sailors and there are lots of factors that come into play, which I will not bore you with. What makes this even more frustrating is the confusion between Reserve Capacity (RC) and Amp Hours (Ah). Reserve Capacity, or more accurately Reserve Minutes, is how long the battery can support a 25 amp load before dropping to 10.5 volts.

RC and Ah are not one in the same. Usually, most batteries that do not have an amp hour rating are also not usually a purpose designed deep cycle battery. Some still are, but have not been Ah tested or the vendor relabeling the battery just chooses not to publish the 20 hour Ah rate.. A safe bet is to always by a battery with a 20 hour Ah capacity rating. This ensures that the battery has been tested and rated for such. You still can use the RC/Reserve Capacity number but this number should generally be divided by two to arrive at a close Ah capacity. There is not really accurate conversion factor I have found.

For example the Trojan AGM 4D battery is rated at 325 RC and 165 Ah. If you divide by 2 you would get 162.5 Ah's. This is usually a close approximation to the Ah capacity of a given battery but still not exact.

RC/RM is generally almost DOUBLE what the usual Ah rating is. On another post, a rather astute and knowledgeable owner stated that their battery had XXX Ah's. The reality is that this battery was never rated in Ah capacity and only in RC/RM so this bank was nearly HALF the size it was thought to be which could prove to be an expensive miscalculation.

Mistaking RC/RM for Ah can be a dangerous and costly mistake. You could kill your batts and be left dead in the water especially if your think after removing 150 AH from a 300 RC bank you are only at half discharge when you are actually closer to flat dead.

There are a few theories on how to determine Ah capacity from RC/RM but none that I have found spot on. Some say to divide RC by 2 then to add 16 to that number while others just say to divide by 2. None have come up exact when applied to multiple examples of known battery Ah ratings. Why? Each battery has is own Peukert constant. A battery with a Peukert of 1.11 wont translate the same as a battery with a 1.49...

Personally I prefer to buy batteries rated for Ah capacity rather than to attempt a guess as any guess could throw off a battery monitor or energy budget or could leave you depleting your bank beyond 50% DOD (depth of discharge) which can drastically shorten its life..

If you buy a specific group size battery eg: group 24, 27, 29/31, 4D, 8D etc. and the one you're buying has a significantly higher "rating" than others of the same physical size that should be a red flag that you are looking at an RC/RM measurement rather than an Ah capacity measurement..

Jan 2, 2010
Hunter 420 Hunter passage 2001 Pickwick Lake
The follow question was ask on another post: I had wet cell batteries 4d but replaced the wet cells with AGM approx 200 ah each. Loved the no maintenance but I have been told by many that never ever allow the batteries to become discharge below 12 volts. It shortens the life of the batteries significantly. I understood this so I made sure that never happened but unfortunately other factor beyond my control like power failures at my dock etc allow this to happen. I still have the batteries and I suspect they may be gone. I was planing to go to golf batteries because of there durability and easy to find most location in the world. (Golf Clubs) Based on the above information from you guys I am not sure which way to go. I have 500 watts of solar panels and a 120 volt 6k noises generator and 120 amps alternator on engine. I plan on cruising the coast of US plus great lakes and will be on the hook most of the time. I believe in modern conveniences living on boat such as satellite TV, freezer, refrigerator, microwave, lights, washer/dryer etc. With that type of power requirement what batteries would you recommend?

I can compute amp-hour usage but if my batteries are charge to 13.4 volts and I am using say 20 ah 20 hours per day at what point does the 13.2 volts begin to approach 12 volts? I doubt the voltage drop is linear, is there a formula to compute the drop?

Last question what is the definition of RC? Is that total AH regardless of Voltage?

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Please note that the AMP-HOUR rating is highly load dependent. If you look at the amp-hour ratings on batteries, the higher the load, the lower the amp-hour rating will be.

Loading up a pair of T105 golf cart batteries (12VDC with 225 amp-hours at the 20 hour rate) with a 10-amp load will get you about a day's run out of them before they're flat. Put it under a 35 amp load, and they'll be flat in about five hours. The five hour amp-hour rating is only 185 amp hours.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Have you got a battery monitor on board your boat? If not, I would highly recommend that you get and install one. Given your need for power-hungry electronics and appliances, you're going to need a really big battery bank to handle the loads they generate.

Again, without having a good estimate of what your electrical usage is, you can't really start to size the battery bank accurately.

The follow question was ask on another post: I had wet cell batteries 4d but replaced the wet cells with AGM approx 200 ah each. Loved the no maintenance but I have been told by many that never ever allow the batteries to become discharge below 12 volts. It shortens the life of the batteries significantly. I understood this so I made sure that never happened but unfortunately other factor beyond my control like power failures at my dock etc allow this to happen. I still have the batteries and I suspect they may be gone. I was planing to go to golf batteries because of there durability and easy to find most location in the world. (Golf Clubs) Based on the above information from you guys I am not sure which way to go. I have 500 watts of solar panels and a 120 volt 6k noises generator and 120 amps alternator on engine. I plan on cruising the coast of US plus great lakes and will be on the hook most of the time. I believe in modern conveniences living on boat such as satellite TV, freezer, refrigerator, microwave, lights, washer/dryer etc. With that type of power requirement what batteries would you recommend?

I can compute amp-hour usage but if my batteries are charge to 13.4 volts and I am using say 20 ah 20 hours per day at what point does the 13.2 volts begin to approach 12 volts? I doubt the voltage drop is linear, is there a formula to compute the drop?

Last question what is the definition of RC? Is that total AH regardless of Voltage?