Batteries and Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
shutoff solenoid

Hey Fred, What did you use for a shutoff solenoid? I'm thinking of making the same change from the mechanical cable

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
Non Marine Inverter

DipBouy, I belong to Costco, but they don't carry 6 volt batteries. I had read postings about the good buys for 6V batteries at Sams Club. I got a one day pass and bought a couple. When I did my electrical rewiring, I went the marine route, except for the inverter. I figured that at $89 dollars, I couldn't go wrong. Anything else, at 1500 watts was $250+. And if you want a true sine wave inverter, it is many times that price. When it fails in the marine invironment, I will buy another (or maybe a marine version if the price is right). To test the inverter, I ran my 1500 watt west marine electrical heater on the inverter (sucks about 125 amps out of the batteries!) I only wanted to be able to run the microwave while at anchor. I tried to run the hot water heater, but it is just at the ragged edge of pulling the battery voltage down enough to cause the inverter to alarm (whistle). Works great for the microwave! I bought the relay at an electronics place for about $20. It was a 120VAC coil, DPDT, rated at 30A. hope this helps, Michael

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hey, I grew up on Willapa Bay. It is one...

of the few pristine places in this neck of the woods. If you want to get away from it all, that is the place to be. Of course some would say it is kind of boring just watching the moss grow. BTW, thanks for your input. Bud

Status
Not open for further replies.