Batteries Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob

Ok I know this has been discussed many times, but Im gonna bring it up again... What kind of batteries do you use on your boat. I am getting ready to repower my battery bank and am unsure what to use. My current bank has two 140 AH wet cell batteries separated by a 1/both/2/off swich and directly hooked to an onboard charger. I was looking at the cost of replicating this system ... Ouch! I don't think my systems require 280 AH, so I was thinking of using Die Hard's. Has anyone else tried these? Is there a big advantage in paying lots of $$?

D

Dick Carey

Battery System Used Currently

Rob, I have the same setup that you have . I have two wet cell batteries also. I use GNB Group 27 Dual Purpose Marine batteries that are available at Sam's Club in the $55 - $60 range. I beleive that they are 115 AH, 850 MCA, 180 Reserve minutes. I check the water level a few times a year and top off with distilled water when needed (not very often). I alternate between Batt. 1 and Batt. 2 on consecutive use-days. The engine keeps them charged ( the battery being used). I always measure battery voltage with a small digital multi-meter each time I go aboard and enter readings into the daily log book sheet. I wired up test jacks at the Nav-Station to do this easily. I have been very happy with this setup and with the wet cell batteries and don't plan to change. The engine is a Yanmar 2GM20(f) 18hp. Dick Carey S/V Puffin 1990 H-33.5

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners

Deep cycle

Now I'm the first to admit my ignorance about electrical systems, but I just upgraded my system last month. I flipped through Nigel Calder's book on systems and he recommends using only deep cycle batteries cuz of the use they get. They don't get used like car batteries so you're looking at having to replace those Die Hards sooner than if you picked up some decent Group 27s. I would look through his book before making any firm decisions. Also, you might ask around about battery manufacturers in your area. I bought mine from the same manufacturer who makes the ones West Marine sells and paid about $40 less! It's worth checking in to. LaDonna

B

Bryce

bateries

did it this summer. Went from 2 4D's to 4 6V T105's. More Amp hours same space. IMHO only way to go. Bryce S/V Spellbinder H410

T

Tom

Like Bryce, I would put 2 - 6Volt batteries

But if your looking to keep your costs down, then just go to Sears and buy their Off the shelf Golf Cart batteries....they are very rugged and will last a good long time. On my old boat I had a pair over 6 years and I kind-of abused them. I really didn't see the need for the marine ones costing twice as much. I think I paid about $50 each.....(I think each of these were around 200 AH, but of course you need two per bank and possibly modifying area where they are placed)

D

Debra Blatnik

Don't underestimate Amp Hours!

Remember, you don't want to deplete the battery each time you use it, 50% depletion is the max, and I think 20 or 25% is recommended. Systems can use a lot of amps in a hurry, especially on a weekend or a week trip. Don't use car batteries. Buy deep cycle, but if you don't need 289 Amp Hrs., buy smaller.

F

Frank Walker

Sailing a Golf Cart

2 ea 220 amp golf cart batteries (6 volts)in series is hard to beat if you have the room. They are avaliable from Sam's for about $40 each. They will start small diesels with no problem. Mine are 6 years old, run refrig in addition to normal loads. A little h2o is all that they require.

B

Bill Hendrick

Avoid DieHards

Been boating for 30 years, worst mistake I ever made was buying Sears DieHards. Batteries didn't make it one season. I now use WestMarine. I have Catalina 34 and have 3 batteries, group 24's. One is starting battery and it is isolated by same Perko switch you describe; the other two batteries run the house and are strapped together. Leave shore power on all the time as I have Adler Barbeau refrigerator and we leave it on. These West Marine batteries are 4 years old!!

B

Bryan C.

Get deep cycle batts

Deep cycle batteries are different than normal car batteries like die hards. Auto (or marine "starting") batteries have many thin plates that are capable of delivering a lot of amperage -- cranking power. However, those thin plates fall apart quickly if subjected to repeated discharges. Drain you car battery 4-5 times and its shot. Deep cycles have fewer but thicker plates. They do not deliver the amperage but the plates can withstand repeated discharges without disenigrating. Conversely, they cannot deliver the same cranking amperage, which is why you may need a separate "starting" battery, but my house deep cycle batts put out plenty of power to crank my engine. Car/starting batteries also accept charge faster than deep cycles, which is why a 3 stage regulator and hi power altnerator are good if you plan on doing a lot of your batt charging from you engine.

P

Peter Brennan

Don't skimp

Avoid Die Hards. They aren't nicknamed Die Easy for nothing. Spend the money to completely upgrade your battery system. Proper shore power charger, not an automotive one. High output regulated alternator. The best batteries you can buy, such as Rolls. You will have a system that runs and runs for ten years or more. You can get away with a lot less. But in the old days when we did that, it was new batteries every year and eventually a battery explosion that did $30,000 worth of damage. Of course, it also depends on your needs. If all you need is something to start the engine, anything will do. But add refrigerator, windlass, instruments, radios, etc., etc., and you are soon looking at minimum 400 AH installed.

B

Bob Stephens

Marine batteries

I'm afriad that I have to diagree with the avoidence of using Die Hard Batteries! For the past 20 years that I have been sailing , any time I had to replace a battery on my boat I have used Die Hard Marine Batteries. The key is Die Hard Marine batteries of the largest size you can make fit. I have gotten at least 5-6 years or more service under heavy use (52 weeks a year). I have used up to size 30's. I believe that the key is good battery maintanence and charging habits! I am sure that you can find batteries that are better rated but for the price (they always seem to be on sale) and availibility you can't go wrong. I imagine that there is on occasion a case of a bad batch of batteries or incorrect recomendation of type and use. I have never had this problem and have been very satistied with the purchase and preformance of my Die Hard Marine Batteries! I have had years of dependibility from them. I would highly reccomend thier use.

Status
Not open for further replies.