Battens

May 19, 2024
Catalina 30 MKII Chicago
Where is a good place to store battens when not in use? Are there any clever ways to store them below deck? Maybe someplace overhead? Just wondering if anyone has a good solution. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Ideally the goal is to have them be out of the way as much as possible btw

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Battens like a place, out of the way and flat. What about under the mattress in the V Berth?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Where is a good place to store battens when not in use? Are there any clever ways to store them below deck? Maybe someplace overhead? Just wondering if anyone has a good solution. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Ideally the goal is to have them be out of the way as much as possible btw
Are we talking between sails or over the winter? Between sails in season, the battens stay right in the sail that is flaked on the boom.

Off season I store the longest battens in the boom. My boom is open ended, so it is easy to slide them in.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
In the boom was my first thought but not really feasible on a C30 as the boom end caps are sealed. The battens in both of my main sails were too long to fit under any cushions. There was no where to store them out of the way inside the cabin. I've considered sewing a tube of marine grade material long enough to hold the battens and tying them to the top of the boom so they are kept flat and clean. Luckily our marina has a room where they store sails and battens for boat owners.

May 19, 2024
Catalina 30 MKII Chicago
Thank you all for the ideas! Making some type of tube and attaching it to the boom is what I like the most. Ideally I’d prefer the battens to be store above deck

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Actually, I just realized how simple it would be to buy a couple of lengths of PVC pipe, glue them together and store the battens in the pipe. It could be easily laid on the deck. I may do that next season to avoid the marina's charge for storing sails/battens.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Actually, I just realized how simple it would be to buy a couple of lengths of PVC pipe, glue them together and store the battens in the pipe. It could be easily laid on the deck. I may do that next season to avoid the marina's charge for storing sails/battens.
You could tape them to the boom or mast