Battens or no battens?

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
I'm considering ordering a new mainsail. My boat has in mast furling. The current mainsail has three partial vertical battens. Should the new mainsail also have these partial length battens, or go with no battens?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Are you more concerned about the furling of your sail, or the sail shape to optimize the boats performance?

Battens are an integral part of the sail’s structure.

Perhaps information is important… Check this out from a major sail loft.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Thanks, but that is for standard mainsails. In mast furling has different considerations. Yes, I am concerned with furling. I have not had problems with my current sail, though reducing chances for problems seems worth thinking about.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Neil Pryde claims an unbattened in mast furling main loses about 15% of its sail area versus traditional main, and that battens allow about half that area to be reclaimed. We have partial vertical battens in ours and haven’t had any significant problems. The batten pockets tore a couple times in the first few seasons but then I brought the sail to Chesapeake Sailmakers who made some stronger repairs and we’ve had no problems since. The furling seems to work just as well in the battened sections as anywhere else. One day when I get a new sail I’ll definitely go with the same configuration.

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
I have had one for two seasons and the only issue I have is the first pocket catches when coming out but a little extra pull on the line clears it. North Sails is correcting that now. Made a BIG difference in performance. My sailing buddies hate it :)
(that is the old sail in the pic.)