Barnegat Bay NJ ~ Exploring tips

Dec 19, 2021
Bristol Corinthian 19 Barnegat Bay
Hello everyone,

This is my second year sailing my Corinthian 19 mainly in Toms River and along the barnegat bay. I enjoy sailing, no doubt about it, but i love exploring new places. Anchoring, going for a swim, enjoy a sandwich, spend the night, you know the drill. I'm a dinghy cruiser at heart...

If anyone has any tips on areas I should explore I would greatly appreciated

So far I have visited:

-Money Island and Cocktail cove in Toms River are definitely my favorite spots in the river.

Northside of the Thomas Mathis Bridge

- Cranberry cove by Seaside Heights.
- Cactus Island by Silver Bay

Southside of the bridge

- Made it once to Tices
- Attempted reaching to the barnegat lighthouse a different day but got aground literally less than 1 nautical miles from it by going through what I thought could have been a shortcut
- Berkeley Island

I'm a new sailor. Still learning. Haven't practice dock and dining yet but feeling like it's my soon thing to test/do

Last but not least, if you moved to Sandy Hook area from the Bay, tell me a few reasons why I should consider it (next year). Remember I have an open cockpit non self bailing boat, (it does have an automated bilge pump) yet heavy displacement, designed by Carl Alberg...not sure if it or it's skipper can make it to NY Harbour but would love to one day.

Thank you all!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I applaud your adventures. I’m sorry I can’t help with more suggestions for Barnegat, but encourage you to study your charts and look at satellite photos for more ideas.
NY Harbor is very busy and commercial with lots of big traffic, some of it fast moving. I do not recommend it with your size boat and stated experience level.
Edit: Be wary of Barnegat inlet - in adverse conditions it has a nasty reputation.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Thanks Kappy,

@ricardodacosta
You mention Berkley Island. Do you mean the county park at Berkeley? Yes, Berkely Cove is a nice quiet spot except in a North or North East wind. On the south side of the park is Cedar Creek, you can anchor along the sandy beach about 100 yards before the first house on the right.
Across the creek is a nice cove. A little shallow but you should be fine.

Across the bay from Berkley Island park is an anchorage called Governors Mansion. At night it is very secluded. You need a chart plotter to get into the anchorage as the channel in is very narrow.

I chuckled when I read you tried to take a shortcut to the lighthouse. It sure does look like you could but when approaching from the north you have to go between the first red bouy and the BI marker before turning into Oyster Creek Channel heading to the lighthouse. Cut it short and you'll be in 2' of water. I have the T shirt.
In that area there are large expanses of water that is ankle deep.
Be aware you will get waked but some large powerboats in the channel. Once you get near the lighthouse and can see the USCG station, look to starboard. You'll see a nice beach and anchorage named Myers Hole.

Go further south past BI, past marker 42 and when you get to the Condos on your starboard side you'll come to Conklin Island and another nice anchorage. That beach is restricted.
At the corner of the condos are markers marking the entrance to Double Creek channel. That winds around and goes past the Barnegat Municipal Dock. Go a little further and there is Sun Harbor Bar & Grill. It's a nice dock and dine.

Speaking about the Barnegat Inlet, there are large commercial fishing boats and sport fishers that will power though the inlet throwing big wakes. They are restricted to the channel and move fast. Be aware.

Ward

Dec 19, 2021
Bristol Corinthian 19 Barnegat Bay
Cut it short and you'll be in 2' of water. I have the T shirt.
In that area there are large expanses of water that is ankle deep.
I can tell you know the area very well @Ward H lol! That's exactly what happened and at around 6pm after sailing for like 4 hours to get there! I tried my hardest to push the boat by hand to get out but couldn't do it on my own. Had to wait 45 min for a towing. Then somehow I managed to power back for a while until I ran out of fuel and the rest was on sail, under full moon until I got safely to Shore Point Marina in Toms River. A lot could have probably gone wrong but luckily didn't. Nowadays I don't leave the dock unless I have plenty of fuel to get back, if the wind dies on me.

Although I am adventurous, I have no intention to going out to sea with this boat. Perhaps it is doable but too risky for my level of experience

Thank you very very much Ward for taking the time to give me some great suggestions to explore.
I do carry the Navionics on my phone (mounted on a phone holder) as my chart plotter plus my depth sounder

Here is a picture of my beloved in case you see me around. Unfortunately my wind vane got messed up when they launched me this year but I also carry a little bluetooth powered wind indicator on top of the mast that is accessible through my phone

la_bota.jpg