Barnacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
I recently solved a problem I think many have had, or will have. Had to boat out last weekend for a shake down run. Engine would run perfect up to around 1800. Above 1800 started smoking, and would not rev above 2100. Any advance of the throttle above 21 or 2200 resulted in only black smoke. Lots of smoke and some soot in the water. A couple of different ( More Knowledgable I Guess ) said it was a dirty prop. I didn't really buy that. First off, the bottom was done last June, and splashed July 1. Bottom is spotless, and have never had a big barnacle problem where the boat stays. I have had barnacles on a prop before, but did not act anything like this. So, after all the other possible fixes, I dove and checked the prop. Barnacle city on it. Covered with barnacles, as big around as a quarter, and 1/2" tall. Cleaned prop and problem solved. So, the voice of experience says don't assume anything. Because you have not had a barnacle problem before, don't mean squat.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Laughing, Phil.. I don't know how those little buggers can survive in the fresh bayou water, but we have them too up on Bayou castine here in Mandeville .. and yes, they like to get on my prop as well !

SteveB

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Venice, FL
'Tis the season. Had similar problem last weekend. Little way on with engine reved--overheated. If cavemen tried to carve a prop rather than a wheel, it would have looked like mine! Surprisingly, bottom and zincs in good condition. Are barnacles attracted to bronze?

Status
Not open for further replies.