Barlow winches-stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed McNally

My '83 O'Day has original Barlow winches that need service. They hardly move. Can anyone tell me how to remove the drum so I can get to the gears? There doesn't seem to be any "C" clamp like the newer winches have.

P

Paul Palmer

Stuck Winches

My 77 O'Day 25 has original Barret winches. There is a spiral spring retainer under the lip of the winch handle receptical. I don't know if the barlow is the same but you might look. A samll screw driver can be hooked in the notch at the end of the retainer and it can be pried up,over, and spiraled off the lip of the handle receptical. The drum pulls off after the retainer is removed. Hope this helps.

T

TT

winch

my 1976 barlows have allen wrench bolts rights through the top of the drum. undo that, slowly pull the drum off and have a towel or something around it all to keep parts out of the water

H

Hank

Barlow winches stuck

You may have found out, by now, but to remove these winches use your finger,orsimilar blunt object and press down into the hole in the center. This is where the winch would be inserted. You have to press fairly hard, but should feel the spring depress and the drum can be lifted of. Be careful, as the pawls and springs have a way of seeking the nearest water.

Status
Not open for further replies.