Bang! Bang! What would you have done?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yesterday I was down on my boat doing some routine maintenance... it was overcast, cold and gloomy... not a comfortable day to be on a boat....a fishing boat came through the drawbridge just upstream from my marina and just as they got to the end of the no wake zone... I heard a bang. I looked up and saw a guy in the boat with his arm extended and a puff of smoke just beyond his hand... then another bang and another puff of smoke... the SOB was shooting at our no-wake buoy with what sounded like a .38

I called 911

1708363577126.png

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I wouldn't have done anything. Could've written down his numbers and called it in, but I wouldn't have. I don't condone random firearm discharges, but no...I wouldn't have done anything. If he did it on a regular basis, I'd make a call.

Is ".38" just your catchall term for a handgun, or can you differentiate between a 9mm, .45 acp,, .22, etc? Just curious.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I guess he was shooting away from the marina, toward what looks like empty land on the other side? Still, guy’s pretty brazen. Think I’d have done the same thing.

Friends of mine saw their neighbors shooting into the air a few weeks ago. (This is in a townhouse development, not someplace out in the country.) They went to the police station to make an anonymous complaint. A few hours later the county sheriff came to their house to ask them more questions about it. So much for the anonymity. :facepalm:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is ".38" just your catchall term for a handgun, or can you differentiate between a 9mm, .45 acp,, .22, etc? Just curious.
While it is plausible that the "sounded like a .38" could be a catchall for a loud small framed gun used for target practice.

The .38 Special was the standard service cartridge for the majority of United States police departments from the 1920s to the 1990s. It was also a common sidearm cartridge used by United States military personnel in World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War.
Known for its accuracy and manageable recoil, the .38 Special remains one of the most popular revolver cartridges in the world[8] more than a century after its introduction. It is used for recreational target shooting, formal target competition, personal defense, and small-game hunting.

If you are among the fortunate to have heard on a range the various calibers of hand guns mentioned, the sound can be distinguishable.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I also would have called 911. Totally reckless.
And comment #3 in this thread, makes no sense.

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
I would've done the same: call 911.

I may have considered calling the harbormaster and/or the Coast Guard as well. There's no question about how reckless that is.