ballast fo OD 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skip Nagelvoort

Just bought a 23 and wonder, if there is a water ballast needed, if so where is the water added? Perhaps, there are other helpful comments. thx

N

NEIL WALTERS

o'day 23

My o'day 23 seemed to list toward the side the motor was mounted. The battery was also on that side. I put a 25 lb bag of shot on the opposite side under the cockpit. it helped a lot

M

Mike Basham

My 1972 23' O'Day

My 23' only has the 1200 pounds of ballast built into the keel around the centerboard. I've never heard of water ballast being used in an O'Day. Mine is a little "tender" in winds from 18 knots up, but I've learned to reed the main and use a smaller jib. Then it sails great! But other than making sure my water tank/bag, battery, fuel tank, etc., are as low in the boat as possible, I haven't ever considered adding any weight to her. Let me know if there is anything else specific to 23's that I might be able to help with; I'll be glad to if I can.

M

Mike

water ballast will sink your boat

the O'Day 23 is not a water ballast boat. I think O'Day went out of business before it became fashionable to design trailer sailers with water ballast. In any event, I've looked at a number of 23's, and have never seen one with water ballast tanks. I do remember seeing a posting where someone actually added a significantly amount of additional solid ballast to their 23 to add stiffness. In my humble opinion, this is a potentially dangerous waste of time and money. I can't imagine that the job (if done right) didn't cost a significant percentage of the original purchase price. There are a number of boats the same size on the used boat market which are far stiffer and more stable than an O'Day 23; if that's the type of boat you want or need, it makes more sense to me to buy one that is actually designed to sail the way you want. With the extra weight, I would think the hull and rigging on a 23 would be stressed beyond their designer's intentions, not to mention that the boat will no longer float on her lines. By all means, shift the normal cargo weight around to balance the boat, but don't monkey with the basic characteristics unless you really know what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.