balboa 20 mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2012
Balboa 20 Apollo Beach
Hi. I have a 1971 Balboa 20' and have question about the mast setup. At the top, there are two sheaves but they are set in so far from edge of mast they couldn't be for the main halyard. There is a small arm sticking out that the PO has the backstay attached to. Anyone have a pic of their setup? Trying to put everything back the original way. Thanks, Steve

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=54

The backstay setup is correct. The extended arm gives a little more leverage when bending the mast on your fractional rig. It also provides more room to prevent the battens of the large roach main from hanging up on the backstay.

As far as the mainsheet sheave...... you must determine if the halyard is designed to run internally or externally. Compare with the jib halyard. Are there exit holes on the lower section of the mast? Look for the cleat the main halyard would be tied off on.

Are the sheaves side by side, or tandem... one in front of the other? Be logical... start at the head of the sail, as if it were raised and envision where the halyard would lead. I'll try to find a picture for you... but it should be self explanatory.

Here's a picture of the masthead from an Ensenada 20, which is the raised deck version of your boat. http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/17630 It appears the sheave would service an internally led mainsail halyard, so look for the exit hole near the base... also it appears to require a wire to rope halyard.. which would be normal for the era.

Feb 13, 2012
Balboa 20 Apollo Beach
Thanks for the help. I am not sure about the wire idea, as the sheaves are plastic. Did not see any hole for the halyard to run internally. Will have to look again. PO had just tied a block to the backstay arm. Been dealing with a lot of stuff like that. Also curious as to line size/lengths for mainsheet and jibsheets. Was thinking 1/4" would do, but unsure. Again, thanks for any help!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'd go with 5/16 for the sheets.... maybe even 3/8.. It's much more comfortable. However, make sure they run through the lead blocks smoothely and fit the cleats.

Have you discovered the West Marine Catalogue/website "Advisor" series of articles? Very helpful for general knowledge about saiboats.

i also suggest you google "balboa 20 sailboat" ... perhaps you can find an owner's site, or at least some pictures of the boat to help you.

The plastic sheave will accomodate a wire halyard fine.... the critcal feature is the width of the channel in the sheave, and its shape... if it is a vee shape, it was designed for wire.

Feb 13, 2012
Balboa 20 Apollo Beach
I have done nothing but pore over the web for any info on the B20. Have read it all! Hardest part is not knowing how much of my rigging is setup like original, and how much has been 'rigged' lol. I have a month at least to figure it out while i am finishing up the bottom paint/rusty swing keel project. Thanks for the help, Joe. Would love to hear from more B20 owners too!

Status
Not open for further replies.