Balast tank Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert

I have a 26ft '95 Mac and I'm thinking of putting it in a wet slip. My concern is that of the balast intake plug leaking and eventually flooding the boat. My question is, am I over-cautious, or should I seal the balast hole and fill the balast from above? I've not had any leakage to date. Are leaks common for this type of trailerable boat, exposed to long periods in the water? If so, what would be the best sealer to use?

F

Flip

Don't worry

First even with the valve open youonly have to worry about sloshing. Make sure you have a goo air plug, and keep it in. My fill valve leaks, but that only results in the ballast filling when I don't want it. If you left the air plug out in a storm, you might have a problem, but not otherwise.

J

Jerry

Leak

I've never had a leak, and I keep mine in the water. Take it out every so often to dry the hull and keep down chance of boat pox.

D

dan

No Problemo!

Hi Robert.... Never heard of or exprienced ballast system leaks. I wire the valve shut with ss wire for long storage periods at the dock for safety. For hull repair I use Marin-Tex epoxy repair. For outside caulking I use Sika-Flex 1a polyurethane(left over from a Cleanroom job!) The problem you WILL run in to is rainwater collection in the bilge. For long slip storage install an auto 12V bilge pump under the cooler. I used a West Marine #500 and plumbed it out the wall in the head, 18" above waterline. This is CHEAP insurance for leaving you boat at the slip for long periods. Don't forget to check and CHARGE you batteries! happy plumbing.......dan

D

Doug

ditto

I keep my 26S in salt water from April to November and I've had no problems. The top of the valve and the inpection hole are both above the waterline. Even if you left the valve open and the plug out, the boat will not flood. This only applies if the boat is level or nearly so, such as at a dock. Heeling under sail will dump water from the ballast tank into the bilge. Always have them closed and plugged before sailing.

R

Robert

Thanks for all the help.

Thank you, to all who have helped answer my question. Hopefully one day I might get the chance to return your kindness. Happy and safe sailing to you all. Robert.

Status
Not open for further replies.