Baja Navel and Bottom Paint . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nick

I'm in San Diego and my 1971 Catalina 27 needs bottom paint. I've been in contact with Baja Naval (the boatyard in Ensenada, Mexico) and they quoted the following price. "To haul out, block, light sand and apply one coat of proline 1088 by roller and a second one to the waterline, would be $420. The hydrowash is not included. To do this process we would need to know the brand of the existing bottom paint to avoid a compatibility problem. We have openings for March. Please let me know if you would like to make a reservation." My question is, I don't know what type of bottom paint is on the hull now. I bought the boat from a representative of the owner who had passed away. This representative knew little about boats. Is there an old (or new) trick to determine what the existing bottom paint is? If not, is there a product that binds dissimilar paints or do I have to sand down to the gel coat? Btw, the labor rate quoted by Baja Navel is a reasonable $15 per hour per man, and usually their are two men, and the boat would be on the hard for two days. Nick "Julia Bell" C-27 #86

M

Miles

Hi Nick

Have you checked prices at other places? I had my 340 bottom painted last year, haul, block, launch, hydrowash, sand, 2 coats of Interlux something for $750 at the Kettenberg yard. Considering you have a 27 you might not be saving that much from going down to Ensenada but then again it is a good excuse to go! Have fun!

S

Susan Annala

Kettenburg

Hey Nick...which Kettenburg yard did you go to and who was the guy that gave you the deal on the bottom of your 34'. I need to do that soon and wouldn't mind the deal of $750.00. I also have considered going to Baha Navel but not sure about Mexico yet. Susan San Diego

M

Miles

Hi Susan...

The Kettenburg yard on Shelter Island is actually owned by Driscoll Boat works, they tend to specialize in smaller boats(i.e. not mega-yachts) so their prices are a little more reasonable. You can call Driscoll at (619) 225-2500 and get a quote. They beat everyone else in SD by several hundred $$ when I was shopping around for bottom paint a year ago.

L

Larry W.

Painting in Mexico

Nick; My 40 foot boat is just on the edge of being worth taking to Mexico when you consider the paperwork and customs expenses, but Ensenada can be a lot of fun! One coat is not enough; you'll want at least two coats on the hull and another on all the leading edges and around the waterline. If you haul in the U.S., the paint guy at the yard should be able to tell you the type of paint just by looking at it, or you can just opt to remove it with a paint stripper. (Better than sanding)

Status
Not open for further replies.