Backing in

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BON Editorial

44% of responding Beneteau owners back into slips, according to last week's Quick Quiz. Does your boat back the way you'd like? Or, is backing your vessel the same as turning to port? Did a change of prop make a difference? Or do you believe a skipper's skill is more important than erroneous equipment? Slip your options in here.

R

Rich Vlaun

I back into my slip, normally. The 281 backs to starboard as much as it backs aft so it is necessary to get lined up correctly and then let it walk to starboard to make the turn at the same time. If the weather and current are too much, I am forced to go in bow first. A few docking drills will usually get one comfortable with it, but it isn't intuitively obvious boat handling that's for sure!

D

Dan Manix

I didn't know it was supposed to be hard

Last month when we moved our newly purchased F285 from Forked River NJ to the Chesapeake, we overnighted at Utsch's in Cape May. As I wheeled into the narrow channel to start my back-in move for the slip, I heard a two-sheets-to-the-wind fellow pronounce loudly for the marina, "If he does this, he qualifies as a power boater." He saw I was in earnest (all the other sailboats within sight were bow in)and ran across the dock hailing everyone in earshot to observe the maniac from Alabama (boat registration visible) in high gear for destruction. All I could hear as I gathered lines for tie up was, "Hey, Hey, is that how they do it in Alabama?" I said, "It is if you liked it; otherwise, we're from Georgia." It got me a free single malt. You just factor in the wind before you get stern-to; position yourself for the prop to kick the stern to starboard; and back - slowly. The key in my mind is patience and moving under control. Shifting into neutral once you're moving eliminates the prop kick. And, finally, just like in the airplane business; "go around" if you don't like the way things are shaping up. Happy backing.

R

Ray MacStay

My First 310 backs into slips very easily. My crew and I find this very convenient for loading gear and supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.