Back in the Chesapeake

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Almost. I’m anchored in Chesapeake City and planning to head on down the bay when the current changes early this afternoon.

It was a long but relatively easy run down from Croton with Ron, except for sizable swells coming out of New York which lasted most of the night. Due to light winds directly astern, we rolled enough to make sleeping difficult on the off-watches.

I looked at the weather just before we left and we decided to just run straight on through. We went into Atlantic City just before dawn and anchored up in the corner of the harbor off the fuel dock for an hours sleep and planned refuel. When we woke up, I looked at the time, the fuel state, and the big boat tied up waiting for fuel and decided we had enough to make Cape May. It turned out to be a good decision.

We arrived in Cape May in time to refuel and then be the third boat into the anchorage. As we were running back down the channel from town, another sailboat was coming up the channel from the sea. When it saw us swinging towards the anchorage, the white bow wave suddenly doubled in size and they raced us to the prime spot. We anchored in a good place farther on and the fun began.

Lots of boats were taking advantage of the weather and we spent a pleasant late afternoon trying a variety of IPA’s that Ron brought and watching boat after boat anchor while we criticized their technique. It’s one of my favorite cruising activities, as long as other boats don’t end up sitting right over my anchor when I’m planning an early morning departure. (Note to self: use an anchor buoy every crowded anchorage henceforth. It makes people a bit more respectful of you anchor position.) I woke up in the middle of the night and there was a catamaran about ten feet away. I put out some fenders and went back to sleep.

Due to tide and realizing that many of these boats would be headed for Chesapeake City, I had to drop poor Ron off at 0700 for his 1100 bus. It was a milk run up Delaware Bay. I arrived in Chesapeake City to find the anchorage busy. In order to leave room for subsequent arrivals, I set a stern anchor as close to the end of the basin as I could and anchored bow and stern to prevent swinging in the current from the marsh. I suggested the next two boats do the same so we got three boats in a space really suitable only for one.

Forumite Bob T and his first mate stopped by for dinner and I returned to the boat for a very quiet night with a rare unbroken sleep from 1930 to 0700. I’ll be off down the bay as soon as the current changes at 1336.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
...except for sizable swells coming out of New York ...
Man, I didn't know those guys could walk on water, too. :eek:

Glad you had a great trip, and nice of Ron to join you again.

Anchor follies are always fun.

Have you needed the heater yet?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Any plans for an Annapolis stop? It would be nice to see you again. Ron P. (SOS)

Nov 22, 2008
Any plans for an Annapolis stop?
I'd hoped so but one of those things has come up where I need to be in Solomons soon in case I am suddenly needed elsewhere for a while. When things settle down, I'll still need to stay fairly close to that area for a bit.

I have a berth for the schooner race on the boat I designed so I should be back in the area for that although probably by land transportation. Hope to see you then.

Nov 22, 2008
Enjoy reading your posts. Requesting more pics.
Thanks. I got so used to Dreameagle taking all the pictures that I got out of the habit of keeping my camera handly.

I'll try to get some pictures soon.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...I have a berth for the schooner race on the boat I designed ....
IIRC, that was the Maryland Lady? Pink over green, methinks? That is the August picture in my Schooner Race calendar. As usual, I'll be on the water for the race. You'll see my boat as in my avatar.